Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I doing more harm than good?

Old 08-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Am I doing more harm than good?

I have hung my favorite stand. Its the one for opening day. No more visiting, tightening straps, etc.

The Thing is I have made one trail I will be using in dark, but during day trips I believe I have come in from every angle on a clock! I have machetted everything in my trail coming in from every angle.

Im not going back until opening day, so you think allof my scent, sweat, blood and spit will be gone by October 4th?

Old 08-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Am I doing more harm than good?

Your scent will be gone, if not before......by the next rain.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

The other thing is that I have a nice persimmon tree in my yard and its got a good harvest this year.

Instead of giving to the deer who will steal it at midnight, I pick them, pu them in blender with vanilla. A tree will make about 20 little rubber made persimmon popsickles because I freeze them for season.

Would this be baiting the deer if I went in a few weeks before and tossed 10 of them to unfreeze?
How about in the days leading up to season.

These deer love them. Anyone ever tried them?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Hoyt your scent will be gone, but my worries would be how much damage you have done by going in and chopping. How many times did you go in there??
Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check you local game laws on baiting.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hoyt...Dang boy, don't feed those persimmons to the deer, make persimmon pudding....
Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

persimmion bread. now thats what you use to bait me....

I know missouri law states that an area is considered baited for 10 days after COMPLETE removal of bait.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 PM

yes, your scent will be gone with the next rain. As for opening up lanes, no big deal. the deer may actually use them. they seem to always take the easy way down trails, across fences with the wires cut, etc. Last yr. I went & cut some shooting lanes, & still had deer 2 wks later walk right in, & boy was that nubbn' buck tasty.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

I have hung my favorite stand. Its the one for opening day. No more visiting, tightening straps, etc.

The Thing is I have made one trail I will be using in dark, but during day trips I believe I have come in from every angle on a clock! I have machetted everything in my trail coming in from every angle.

Im not going back until opening day, so you think allof my scent, sweat, blood and spit will be gone by October 4th?

Yes I'd say your scent will be gone my only question is how do you kow you will hunt this stand opening day? I mean I have a couple in mind but it will really depend on the wind.

Yes in VA that would be considered baiting, unless you do it and it is gone by Sept 1. Anything you put out as far as minerals or food is supposed to be gone 30 days prior to the season(earliest season in va is Oct 1, normal seasons that is).
Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

It will easily be gone. I'd take it easy on the trail chopping though.

Quick Reply: Am I doing more harm than good?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.