Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spinoff of taking a fawn...

Old 08-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spinoff of taking a fawn...

I think most have to agree that there is a difference between someone’s first (or lower numbered) bowkill & their 50th. Especially in the amount of excitement they feel. This HAS to be fairly common. My 3rd or 4th bowkill (10th deer overall) was a fawn doe and I was so giddy the guy at the butcher shop though it was my first deer ever. There is nothing wrong with that, and I have no regrets feeling as happy as I was. BUT, if I walk out and shoot a doe this fall, even a big one, I am not going to be 1/10th as giddy over it as I was for that fawn. Now let me whack it with my trad bow, and you’ll see a big surge of giddiness.

Another thing to realize and (this is more out of politeness) is that what may be old hat to some, is pure joy to others.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I remember that kill mauser! Once again, CONGRATS!!!!!!! I had my first shot last season with my Flintlock, miss-fired twice, the third time she went off, but I pulled the shot.... the fawn got lucky that day!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I feel bad for people that cant look at every animal they take and not view it as a trophy.
No offense intended, Bowtech.....but your area may be just a tad different than mine. WHY we allhunt is extremely personal. Our goals will all be different. HOW I hunt is quite different from how I WISH I could hunt.

That may make sense to you, one day.

Every deer is NOT a trophy to me. Some are just does taken to eat. I shoot them & eat them. I am not proud nor ashamed. I've shot fawns, I don't hide it, but I certainly ain't going to flaunt it either.
Thanks, Ryan
To anwser the question, no I have never killed a deer and then not said something because I was assamed. As for the little debate over what a trophy is.....I wish some of the new hunters could go back to when hunting was not like it is now. Growing up in Northern Indiana, you were very lucky to be able to kill a deer with a bow, any deer. Hell, seeing a buck as an accomplishment of it's own. Today, States are managing the herd, hunting are managing the herd. This is the golden time of hunting. So I can see how some would see taking a doe today as not being a trophy, but back in the day, hell yes it was trophy.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I shoot what I want, when I want and could give a rats ass what anyone else thinks or says! If someone hunts to impress others or to get an atta boy, they sure are missing out, or maybe they should take up golf!
10-4 Joe!!

My 1st 4 deer were fawns. Everyone would of guessed I just shot a world record for as excited and as proud as I was with them fawns. I was 13 years old when I shot my 1st deer, it was a doe fawn. When I shot it that evening I thought it was a doe. When we found it that night I was wrong, it was a fawn and it didn't change a thing on how I felt about it. That same night one of the guys that came with us to track it told his kid when we found my fawn that you can do better then that on your 1st deer, fawns are too easy! My dad damn near flew off the handle on this guy when he said that in front of us all to his son. Some people will never get it! This guy no longer is a friend of the family. My dad don't put up with this stuff and neither do I. A deer is a deer and as long as the person doing the shooting is proud thats what matters.

My 1st mount on the wall is of my doe fawn. I'm not bashful one bit about telling people what it is. I'm proud of that deer. My dad was proud of it too and thats why he said its going on the wall.

How many people would have a fawn mounted on the wall for everyone to see? Not many I'm guessing because there to chicken **** on what other people would think and say. Grow some balls and shoot what you want and tell the whole world about it because your proud of your animal. If you can't do that, you've got problems.
Sounds familiar Schultzy!!
My first deer and hide:

Old 08-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

For the record....the greatest "trophy" (in my eyes) I ever took was a doe.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I shoot what I want, when I want and could give a rats ass what anyone else thinks or says! If someone hunts to impress others or to get an atta boy, they sure are missing out, or maybe they should take up golf!
10-4 Joe!!

My 1st 4 deer were fawns. Everyone would of guessed I just shot a world record for as excited and as proud as I was with them fawns. I was 13 years old when I shot my 1st deer, it was a doe fawn. When I shot it that evening I thought it was a doe. When we found it that night I was wrong, it was a fawn and it didn't change a thing on how I felt about it. That same night one of the guys that came with us to track it told his kid when we found my fawn that you can do better then that on your 1st deer, fawns are too easy! My dad damn near flew off the handle on this guy when he said that in front of us all to his son. Some people will never get it! This guy no longer is a friend of the family. My dad don't put up with this stuff and neither do I. A deer is a deer and as long as the person doing the shooting is proud thats what matters.

My 1st mount on the wall is of my doe fawn. I'm not bashful one bit about telling people what it is. I'm proud of that deer. My dad was proud of it too and thats why he said its going on the wall.

How many people would have a fawn mounted on the wall for everyone to see? Not many I'm guessing because there to chicken **** on what other people would think and say. Grow some balls and shoot what you want and tell the whole world about it because your proud of your animal. If you can't do that, you've got problems.
Sounds familiar Schultzy!!
My first deer and hide:

Awesome stuff there New!!!

Here's my doe fawn.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I frequently shoot doe fawns and never post pictures here for fear of ridicule.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is GOOOOOOOOOOD PREACHIN', Joe!!!!! Amen!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pa Trophy Man

Why? I would never do that just a congrats from me thats what you will get!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pa Trophy Man

This is sad but very true. I understand what your saying but the heck with them people, post away your pics no matter the size! I got ridiculed as well with the fawns I shot. It still doesn't stop me from showing people pics though. I hope to see some pics from you this fall no matter the size.

Quick Reply: Spinoff of taking a fawn...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.