Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elementary Bow Tuning Question -changing from 125 to 100gr

Old 08-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default Elementary Bow Tuning Question -changing from 125 to 100gr

I have always shot 125gr broadheads and tuned my bow accordingly. On numerous shots over the years, I have always had complete pass throughs with the exception of one time.

Last year I experiemented with a 100 gr broadhead (RAGE) and while I killed and recovered all three deer shot with the rage, I didn't get complete pass throughs on any of them.

I concluded that the lack of complete pass throughs was due to my lack of KE(61#) as compared to those that were more satisfied with this particular broadhead and touted closer if not over 70#KE.

But it was suggested on here that it could be a tuning issue as well since I switched BH weight.

So with that in mind,I paper tuned my bowfor verificationwith a 125 gr field point. Perfect arrow holes everytime. I then put a 100 gr field point on the same arrow and got a slight tear to the left. (It should be noted that I am a left handed shooter, so I am assuming that it would be equivalent to a right tear for most of you.)

It is not a significant tear, and I would suspect some would consider it close enough to a perfect hole to consider it tuned. However, it is a noticeable difference as compared to the 125gr point.

So what does this tell me? Is it 1)Wrong arrow for the reduced weight(Unerspined/Overspined)? I am shooting carbon arrows.

Or 2)is this to be expected when you alter the weight and FOC of your arrow by 25gr even with the correct arrow relative to the set up and one just simply has to "re-tune" when changing.

Or could it be a combination of both?

I won't re-tune or alter arrow selection until after elk season as I will be using the 125 fixed BH while pursuing them and I am very satisfied as how they are flying, both through paper and 40-50 yards out with a broadhead.

Just wondering what I might do different if I decide to try the 100gr again this year for whitetails.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Elementary Bow Tuning Question -changing from 125 to 100gr

I concluded that the lack of complete pass throughs was due to my lack of KE(61#) as compared to those that were more satisfied with this particular broadhead and touted closer if not over 70#KE.
That's on the cusp of what "I" would consider the lower range.....but PLENTY for whitetails.

So what does this tell me? Is it 1)Wrong arrow for the reduced weight(Unerspined/Overspined)? I am shooting carbon arrows.
Don't know enough about your setup to say. Reducing tip weight will affect your spine. But...being over-spined isn't typically a worry I spend a lot of time on.

I wouldn't even bother with paper tuning. I'd have someone shoot my bow (with me watching from behind).....or get someone I trusted to view my arrow flight from longer yardages.....and BH tune my bow.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know just where the problem lies, but I can assure you it isn't a lack of KE. 61# is plenty for anything on four feet. For example, I routinely get complete passthroughs on deer sized game with a setup producing only 39# of KE. But then I shoot a fairly narrow (1 1/8") fixed blade head.

YOu don't mention at what distance your shots are, but with a decently tuned bow your arrows should be flying fairly straight at normal hunting distances. Maybe some fine tuning is in order, but if it were me I'dput the experience to good useand go back to what has worked in the past and be happy.

It sounds like you know how to tune well enough that there shouldn't be much use for using a mechanical head unless you are looking to introduce some problems into the equation.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like you know how to tune well enough that there shouldn't be much use for using a mechanical head unless you are looking to introduce some problems into the equation.
??????????????????????[&:]
Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you do't want to re-tune, you can use the 25gr boosters from Aftershock. These should give you the same performance as your 125 gr. field tips. I use them with the Grim Reapers to get to 125 grains. You will maintain your FOC this way too.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

If you do't want to re-tune, you can use the 25gr boosters from Aftershock. These should give you the same performance as your 125 gr. field tips. I use them with the Grim Reapers to get to 125 grains. You will maintain your FOC this way too.
I am not familiar with this product, but I am going to look into it and experiment with it after elk season as I do like the feel of a 125gr. Thanks for the suggestion.

I guess it is human nature (at least mine) to want our cake and eat it too. I have been quite satisfied with Muzzy 3 blade 125 for many years.

However, if I can achieve the same in the way of penetration (for me that would mean a complete pass through) but also have a bigger blood channel such as one can expect with the rage, then to me it would be the best of both worlds.

As I mentioned, I was not impressed with my initial use of them last year to be competely sold, but at the same time I have heard enough good things about them that I believe they work very well, for at least certain set ups and for whitetailed deer.

I would never even consider using on elk although I guess there are some people doing so.

I am now trying to find if I can make my set up "applicable". Increasing KE, while it may or may not be a problem, is not an option for me unless I upgrade to a faster bow,which I don't intend to do, at least not in the near future.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you given any thought to a heavier arrow? You may have to buy new arrows if you decide to go that route but a heavier arrow would definitely help.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Have you given any thought to a heavier arrow? You may have to buy new arrows if you decide to go that route but a heavier arrow would definitely help.
Yes I have. But here is the thing, assuming that I shot through the chronogragh correctly, and I am assuming I did as I shot through it several times.

With my existing Easton Axis arrow and a 100gr point =total weight 375gr with the 125 it is 400gr

At 375 I got 271fps=61#KE
At 400 I got 260fps=60#KE

Would you expect that I would lose that much velocity by increasing 25gr?

I am shooting a Matthews LX @ 27.5" and 66#. The bow is supposedly rated at 70#, but 66# is all it registers and yes I am sure thatthe limbs are tightened all the way down.

I was surprised at this loss of speed, and again, maybe the chrono readings were wrong, but unfortunately I can't easily replicate and verify as my only bow shop that had a chrono retired and shut down his shop. I am sure there is one in the area, but I am not sure where.

I used to shoot a 28" draw length and I could go back to that, but we all know that "shorter is usually better" from a form/accuracy standpoint and by going to a longer length is probably where I would be "trying too hard" to make something fit as I am comfortable with the 27.5".
Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the speed of your arrow is a big concern then a heavier arrow may not be for you.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

[quoteIf the speed of your arrow is a big concern then a heavier arrow may not be for you][/quote]

Arrow speed is not a huge concern, but if I am not gaining any KE (and based on my calculations, I am not) what would be the benefit of the heavier arrow?

Quick Reply: Elementary Bow Tuning Question -changing from 125 to 100gr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.