Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

treestand or portable blind

Old 03-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default treestand or portable blind

taking my 12 yr old daughter deer gun hunting this fall this will be her first hunt im thinking of a double ladderstand or portable camo blind with orange top for safety we will be hunting creek bottoms pines and hardwood mix we will be hunting in bufflo cty wi thanks[:-]
Old 03-09-2003, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: treestand or portable blind

Glad to see your taking your daughter with you. I have 2 that go with me every chance they get. My oldest (just turned 14) got her first one the day before her 14th b' day. She made a better shot than most experinced hunters make. She had never shot the rifle that we took that day and she made a perfect double lung shot at 153 yards. She was pumped... so was I to say the least.

I have a ground blind and after hunting with it for 3 years, i' m not convinced they are all that. I have yet to shoot a deer out of it. Keep in mind that I mostly bow hunt out of it. I f it were my choice and you have the means to purchase it AND hang it, I' d go with the double ladder setup. I don' t think you can go wrong by getting off the ground.

Good luck to you and your daughter.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have gotten more game out of my ground blind
then ever out of a tree stand and I dont have to
live with a broken back like my hunting partner
does.Just my thoughts.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Considering your situation I would probably go with the ground blind setup. For two people I think it would provide more concealment than a treestand....plus for a rifle hunt I do not think it is as critical to be in a treestand.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Spike

PA made a good point(always does) I think that decision should be based on the lay of the land(I also hunt the coulees) People will push deer to you. It is to your advantage that your daughter and yourself(thats cool) spot deer before they get close enough to spot you. With twice the scentsightsounds a blind would be the ticket, but with a rifle, two sets of eyes, and attention to the above mentioned details I would get in a stand. Good luck to the both of you!