Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

chewing in the treestand

Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: chewing in the treestand

Do they have Skunk flavor? Could use for a cover scent.[:-]
Old 08-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Think about this. Every time you turn your head to spit, you signaling a deer in the vicinity of your location, if they are looking in that direction. It's got nothing to do with the smell, my opinion. I know Bro's that have killed deer with a cig in their mouth. Doesn't matter. I dip Skoal, not in the tree. Less movement I can generate, I'm thinking it's a positive.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

The greatest enemy of knowlage is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowlage.

Stephen Hawking, physicist, smart guy.
Is the beauty of that quote the fact that Stephen Hawking mis-spelled Knowledge twice?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Quittings easy, I do it all the time. Seriously I quit a couple times a year.I'm fine till like week 9-10 I hit a wall. The kicker the wife don't mind if she did it might be easier. I don't chew at the house unless cutting grass or shooting outside. Work, Hunting and Golf are a different story!
GR8atta2d, you golf! We need to get out there!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Marinade it in Tinks 69and then just make a trail to your stand.
almost fell out my chair laughing on that one.......
i dip cope and spit on ground. i haven't spooked any yet.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nearly every deer I've ever killed was killed while I had a chew in, be it Beechnut, Redman, Levi's, Southern Pride, Trophy, whatever, I've chewed nearly every time on stand for probably close to 20yrs, and had a chew in for every deer I've killed except 1!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey thanks guys i really apperciate all the insight i think i am going to keep bringing a bottle out there even though i dont like the hassle of it.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been a chewer/bowhunter now for 23 years. I have had a chew in my mouth for every kill. Until last year, I never thought about it, but last season I had two deer give me the slip and made me think about this. Both deer came in down wind of me, (for what it is worth I was wearing scent-loc and had taken a scent free shower within hours of this happening). The first deer came in about an hour after first light (small doe) and she came it I knew she was getting to a spot that would put her directly in path with my scent. She stopped, looked right up in the tree at me and then walked back the direction she came from. The second deer came down on the same trail and did exactly the same. So, with out a question, these deer picked up a scent they did not like. Was that scent my spit on the ground, or me? Who knows, I do know it was enought that I started carring a glass bottle with me to spit in (plastic makes too much noise). I recommendation would be, if you want to chew on the stand, take something to spit in. Why take the chance?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 PM

I chew and spit on the ground, just what i do. I saw a Primos scent eliminator commercial yesterday where they put coon urine on a cotton ball and than spray the primos scent control into a cup with the cotton ball , and 'supposedly' you can't smell the coon urine any more...???....I may have to try that to see if it works..... food for thought....make a spitter bottle w/ paper towel and scent eliminator???? we'll see.....
Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Is the beauty of that quote the fact that Stephen Hawking mis-spelled Knowledge twice?
You sir, are quite observant .

Quick Reply: chewing in the treestand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.