Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

chewing in the treestand

Old 08-12-2008, 05:18 PM

Default RE: chewing in the treestand

I dip in my stand and spit on the ground, I have never seen a deer spook from it in 20 yrs, however, that doesn't mean I don't spook deer that I can't see... This year will try to spit in a bottle....why take the chance?? I will see if this helps.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 PM
bigcountry

I quit chew Feb. 16 2006. And I can solidly say, I have had more success in the past 2 years than I ever had. Does, spikes, big deer, my sightings have increased 2 fold. I did cope for over 20 years and spit right on the ground. I used to argue up and down that it doesn't affect deer. I was wrong.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I quit chew Feb. 16 2006.
Congrats BigCountry! Tough thing to do, I've tried.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im right there with ya bigcountry, I quit cold turkey January, 1 2007 and agree there is a big differance.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have a friend who used to until he was busted, he says he notices a large diff. now that he does not chew in stand. According to him he says many more deer but who knows. I have an uncle who has shot deer smoking but I personally think it's a really bad idea and would never do it. It's a foreign smell and they will pick up on it.. I personally don't chew or smoke, to me its' nasty but it's your choice if ya do.. Just like hunting while doing it, if your comfortable with it or if it's "part of the hunt" then go for it I guess..

Maybeya'll need a scentlok cover for chew bottles..
Old 08-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

my grandpa used to chew everytime he got in the stand. Till one day he reached in his pocket pulled out his can, hit it once to pack it, looked up and there was a beautiful 10 pointer staring right at him. Bye bye deer. he said he put his lid back on and threw the can down and never chewed after that.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

i chew levi garret in the stand and just spit in a bottle but i mean i have never seen a difference so idk
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quittings easy, I do it all the time. Seriously I quit a couple times a year.I'm fine till like week 9-10 I hit a wall. The kicker the wife don't mind if she did it might be easier. I don't chew at the house unless cutting grass or shooting outside. Work, Hunting and Golf are a different story!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Not a dumb question it's asked every year. (and this won't be the last for this year).

I dip Copenhagen. I don't carry a spit bottle, I've tried, I usually drop it or spill it anyway. I've never seen a negative reaction with deer under my stand in the area. Am I saying it's impossible that it would scare them of course not. But I haven't seen it. To me it's an enjoyable part of the hunt. I'm not going without it.
We agree!!

I don't leave home without my Kodiak. I'm fairly carefull though on when I take my dips. I won't take a dip that last 1.5 hours of light.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Marinade it in Tinks 69and then just make a trail to your stand.

Quick Reply: chewing in the treestand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.