Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Landowner liabilty form/paper

Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Landowner liabilty form/paper

Hey guys, those of us that hunt on property that we do not own, is there some paper/form/document that I can give to the landowner that assures them that they have no liability should I fall and break myself. I have heard that these documents are worthless, from a legal standpoint, but does anyone provide their landowner with one? Any examples of what it should say?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Default RE: Landowner liabilty form/paper

NYS has a ASK program. The card says that the owner is not liable unless known hazzards are not marked. Ill try and scan it and upload a pic of the official card.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

In NC....as long as the landowner isn't charging you to hunt.....he has no liability (barring gross negligence). Now the litigious among will cite that anyone can sue for anything in the US.

A piece of paper (form)won't change that.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do a google search. You will find many examples of such documents. I had a lady I hunted on a few years back that wanted one. I even explained to her that the document was pretty much worthless if anything ever went to court (I did explain that I would never dream of doing anything like that), but she still wanted one. If could be a nice thing to have with you when you approach a land owner about asking permission.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Here is the document I was talking about earlier, this is a scan of the card I have.

Here is the Back

Old 08-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's is what a LEGAL OHIO hunting permission slip has on it.....

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/DNR%208924.pdf
Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never heard of doing a form like that. I guess if I do something stupid to hurt myself, I'm sure the last thing I'd do is sue the owner. It must be pretty common though huh?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mottz

Ive never heard of doing a form like that. I guess if I do something stupid to hurt myself, I'm sure the last thing I'd do is sue the owner. It must be pretty common though huh?
"Normal" folks wouldn't think of suing the landowner. There are plenty of others out there that are trying to get rich the easy way...off someone else.

It's like blaming a gun for violence.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks a ton guys, was just having a bit of a time with the wording and what it needed. I also NEVER plan to ever sue over this kind of thing, but if nothing else, it gives me something I can give the landowner showing my responsibility and that I am serious about their permission. Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

I think they only way they could be liable would be if they created a hazard and then neglected to warn you of it. Like say he went and put bear traps all over his property, and didn't tell you "hey be careful there are bear traps everywhere". You step in a bear trap and lose your foot you could have a perfectly legimate lawsuit on your hands. Granted that is a pretty crazy example but you get the idea. Since you are invited onto the property the law classifies you as an "invitee" which creates a high standard of care for the landowner.
Since hunting involves a certain amount of calculated risks, and you voluntarily undertaken them the law generally views this as an assumption of risk. So as long as the land owner doesn't do anyting to imperial you he should be legally free and clear, if you do something dumb and get yourself hurt. But i think you are on the right track that even if it doesn't mean anything legally, symbolically it is showing that you take their permission seriously and it should put their mind at ease.