Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Old 08-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

And, yes... I've paid retail for his stuff. Lots of it.

That's FULL retail.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Greg...I don't begrudge anyone any "deal" they get. I was yanking your collective chains.

I own the stuff...and I love it (just not Jeff's stuff, but wolfskin, nonetheless). Truth be told....when mine wears out....I'll buy more. Ifthat happens to be from Jeff....so be it.

I think I'll start saving, now.[&:]
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

How this product looks, especially in a picture -- on a website at that – has got to be theworst (emphasis added) reason I’ve yet seen used to calculate that product’s value to its customer base.

Sorry Greg, but I have to disagree.

I won't buy a $20,000.00 Yugo, because it looks like a piece of crap. I don't need to test-drive it. I don't need to feel the upholstery. I don't need to read testimonials. It looks crappy, so I take a pass. Trust me, I can tell from the pictures. Sometime, pictures alone are enough tobase your opinionon. See Exhibit A.

The People's Exhibit A

I do the same thing with food, clothing, hairstyles, dry goods, and pretty much every tangible piece of merchandise that I buy. It's the American way. We window shop. Welcome to America, where we base purchases on visual perception. We're all guilty of window-shopping. If you say you've never based an opinion on looks alone- you're only kidding yourself.

My question is (and has always been): What justification is there for dropping a bill-and-a-half on a pair of 4-pocket hunting pants? What justification is there for paying $180 for a pair of unlined hunting pants with cargo pockets? No scent containment (that's extra).

You guys are flying off the handle because you don't like the answer - not the question. If everyone would've jumped on here and said "Gray Wolf is the greatest bargain in the free world," y'all would've gone to bed happy, with rainbows dancing in your dreams.

If it's purely a donation to the small domestic guy who provides exemplary customer service and a competitive product, and fights thegiants -then let's call it that.

If it's truly a superior product, then let's call a spade a spade and give credit where it's due.

Like many things, the realanswer apparentlylies somewhere in the middle, and is subject to subjectivity. The results of this survey and the bulk of the opinions being floated here, however, seem to suggest that he isusing solid materials (warp knit is good stuff), but just that his prices are a lot higher than the Average Joe canafford. So, the crux of the whole discussion seems tosuggest that, ifGWWever wants to bite off a bigger market share or get his product in morepeoples' collective hands - it mightbe time to explore a larger economy of scale and try to start suppressing the costs in whatever ways possible.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

In all honesty Fran if Jeff made it cheaper he would lose his market GWW is very smart, he is marketing to that 10-20% of hunter who wants what others don't have(stores not hunters).

I myself am still looking for that perfect bowhunting jacket. I can tell you this:

It's Fleece
Great quiet zipper
Sleeves are fitted can be adjusted at the wrist(no velcro)
Nice fit under the arms, no sagging or puffed out.
Draw strings for the bottom
Mock Collar(like the golf shirts)

Same Jacket in waterproof also

Pants to match, for the life of me I cannot understand why jackets shirts today have huge collars[:@]
Old 08-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote]Rick, All Enigma was made in Wolfskin, it's never been made in anything else but Wolfskin. Unless I'm truly mistaken but I don't believe so./quote]

I did not know that Rob. I truly love the Enigma but it doesn't fit anymore. I hope to sell it and maybe invest it back in GWW.
Germ, I guess Rob answered you too but I bought minein the spring of 07 when the 2nd generation was coming out.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Rick, All Enigma was made in Wolfskin, it's never been made in anything else but Wolfskin. Unless I'm truly mistaken but I don't believe so./quote]

I did not know that Rob. I truly love the Enigma but it doesn't fit anymore. I hope to sell it and maybe invest it back in GFF.
Germ, I guess Rob answered you too but I bought minein the spring of 07 when the 2nd generation was coming out.
What is GFF

Germ's Freak Fest is all I came up with
Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Rick, All Enigma was made in Wolfskin, it's never been made in anything else but Wolfskin. Unless I'm truly mistaken but I don't believe so.
I did not know that Rob. I truly love the Enigma but it doesn't fit anymore. I hope to sell it and maybe invest it back in GFF.
I assume it's too big fer ya now slim fella or I'd ask how much but it won't fit me either then.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

What was the point of this thread?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

How this product looks, especially in a picture -- on a website at that – has got to be theworst (emphasis added) reason I’ve yet seen used to calculate that product’s value to its customer base.

Sorry Greg, but I have to disagree.

I won't buy a $20,000.00 Yugo, because it looks like a piece of crap. I don't need to test-drive it. I don't need to feel the upholstery. I don't need to read testimonials. It looks crappy, so I take a pass. Trust me, I can tell from the pictures. Sometime, pictures alone are enough tobase your opinionon. See Exhibit A.

The People's Exhibit A

I do the same thing with food, clothing, hairstyles, dry goods, and pretty much every tangible piece of merchandise that I buy. It's the American way. We window shop. Welcome to America, where we base purchases on visual perception. We're all guilty of window-shopping. If you say you've never based an opinion on looks alone- you're only kidding yourself.

My question is (and has always been): What justification is there for dropping a bill-and-a-half on a pair of 4-pocket hunting pants? What justification is there for paying $180 for a pair of unlined hunting pants with cargo pockets? No scent containment (that's extra).

You guys are flying off the handle because you don't like the answer - not the question. If everyone would've jumped on here and said "Gray Wolf is the greatest bargain in the free world," y'all would've gone to bed happy, with rainbows dancing in your dreams.

If it's purely a donation to the small domestic guy who provides exemplary customer service and a competitive product, and fights thegiants -then let's call it that.

If it's truly a superior product, then let's call a spade a spade and give credit where it's due.

Like many things, the realanswer apparentlylies somewhere in the middle, and is subject to subjectivity. The results of this survey and the bulk of the opinions being floated here, however, seem to suggest that he isusing solid materials (warp knit is good stuff), but just that his prices are a lot higher than the Average Joe canafford. So, the crux of the whole discussion seems tosuggest that, ifGWWever wants to bite off a bigger market share or get his product in morepeoples' collective hands - it mightbe time to explore a larger economy of scale and try to start suppressing the costs in whatever ways possible.
Fran, that is solid posting. I agree with you that it is way overpriced, but if some goober wants to drop "a lot" of his money on these pants then so be it. However, it doesn't mean I have to think it's a smart move. I don't understand why other posters feel the need to vehemently defend the aforementionedcompany.

Even if I had an unlimited supply of money I just don't see myself buying these pants. As previously mentioned, if other pants contain the same material for a fraction of the price it would seem wise to purchase those instead. Plus, the bad thing about clothes is they deteriorate at a rapid pace. Whereas, something like a bow, watch, gun etc.. tends to actually hold their value.

I bet the manufacturer is laughing all the way to the bank.

Actually, the reason these pants don't come with pockets is because you won't have any money to put in the pants after buying them.[:-]
Old 08-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Picking out one senctence without the context of the following three or four is solid posting? Read the whole paragraph in MY post; THAT'S solid posting.

Some of the members here have come toenjoy asarcastic or comical answer butfail to look further for the substance behind it. That line of thinking is just aserroneous as the thinking that continually pouring your money down the drain buying disposable clothing every few years for a 1/3 or even 1/4 of the price is saving you money.

Plus, the bad thing about clothes is they deteriorate at a rapid pace. Whereas, something like a bow, watch, gun etc.. tends to actually hold their value.
Here we find another example of someone talking about something they obviously have no first-hand experience with in terms of rapid deterioration. My GWW garments look just as good as the day I opened them out of their box, years ago. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I fully expect to be able to pass down many of these hunting clothes to my sons when I can longer utilize them. Oh, by the way; my oldest boy is age 5 and my youngest is a year-and-a-half old. When's the last time someone bought an $800 bow (as was referenced a few pages back by way of comparison, and deemed perfectly acceptable...), and REALLY expected to keep it a lifetime? Fool yourself if you want to; most don't.

But let's be honest here: Holding value isn't the reason GWW has a loyal customer base. If I were concerned about "investments" and items I purchased holding value, I'd be purchasing gold -- or more realistically, I'd be investing in companies making a splash in the molecular diagnostic business in the hospital laboratory business.

I don't understand why other posters feel the need to vehemently defend the aforementionedcompany.
Maybe it's because we don't understand the need for some to come on and attack a company when they've never even actually held the product in their hands? Let the existing customer base come on the forums and complain if they feel slighted... but somehow I don't think that's going to happen, given the satisfaction rate of many of GWW's long-term and repeat customers.

Perhaps that's why this was the most spot-on commentary of Quik's whole original post:

At least once-a-day, somebody refers to it as the gold-standard in hunting clothing.
And that... from actual customers. Imagine that.

Quick Reply: Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.