Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Do you Keep your stuff from walking away?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How Do you Keep your stuff from walking away?

i was going to say i have done the two wrench job to check the charge. i mean i have done it alot never got shocked.

I also held two wires on a a battery to run a air pump for my tire on my truck .
ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Nope, a car battery will not shock you...I've taken 2 wenches and put them on the posts and hit them together to see how much spark I have many, many times...

Your best bet is to take it out with you...I use climbers...

As far as trail cameras, I put them out in late July and take up in the middle of August, when most guys aren't in the woods looking...If I put them out during the season, it is on a ditch/creek crossing instead of an obvious place, like a mineral lick or a corn pile...
Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

well my stand will be on public land on a tree about 1 foot thick and 12 feet high
I plan to use two locks and cables.
not that it needs to be cut proof just to much work to get the stand out of the woods.
ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

I saw a lock at Wal-mart last night and theres no spot on it to get bolt cutters on so I think I will get one of those for my cuddeback. Should keep it from getting stolen (hopefully)
I doubt this will work if someone really wants it. I had a really good lock on a camera a few years ago. They cut the whole damn tree down and slide the camera off. Locks will keep honest people honest, but if they want it bad enough, it is as good a gone.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

also i thought about buying a cheap game cam and setting it up level across from my stand that way if they take it i would get a pic.
who looks 10 or 15 feet high for trails cams.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no way to get rid of thieves wish there was I had my fair share stolen! And boy does it piss you off!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its easy! Just leave the carcasses of the failed thieves laying around the equipment. Any other would be thieves sense something is wrong and usually high tail it out of there! Check local and state ordnances for legality in your area. Void where prohibited by law.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have only had one stand stolen from me, and it was a LW sit and climb. It was cable locked on PRIVATE land too! I've never had a trail cam stolen yet. I have found that if you place trail camsdiscreetly, they generally don't get stolen.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

I hang my stands and then take the climbing sticks out until i plan to hunt it.
that sounds like a good idea, luckily i hunt on private property although we do have people steal our stands...after they hunt from them!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:00 PM

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=1658&cid=158

funny story on this subject that happened here in georgia. kinda pricey, but innovative.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

haha!!! way to have someone finally strike back!!

Ryan.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 AM

Thats great !! Finally one of those heartless morons got what was coming !!

I hunt both private and state land in the north woods of Michigan. Ive never had a problem on private land....but have had both a lock-on and a ladder stand stolen off the state land. I use cabel locks...the bastards just find a way to get em off....like a previous poster said...locks only keep honest people out.!! Last season....when goin to my stand..I got there to find my stand was there....sticks were there...but all my straps were gone except the one on top....hmm a theif thats scared of heights maybe??? If screw in steps were allowed on state land, I would use them and remove them when not in use.
Now i hang my stands....step back about 4 feet...and Pray.
Good luck !!

Quick Reply: How Do you Keep your stuff from walking away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.