Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Do you Keep your stuff from walking away?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM

Default RE: How Do you Keep your stuff from walking away?

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Attack a car battery up to a chain then lock it, I bet that will teach them a lesson.
OK.... SO your going to Hook the car battery up to then chain THEN lock it?? I Sorta want to see it when you do this cause Your going to get your Desired affect, just not on the right person...

Ryan.

OK lock then apply power, dont forget about it in the morning, going to need the switch to be under the first tree step.
As for ladder stand, put razor blades on the outside and only use the middle for climbing.

Note the above is only to be used in drastic situations where 5 or more stands have been stolen.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

i do not think you can just get shocked by dc power
ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Attack a car battery up to a chain then lock it, I bet that will teach them a lesson.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wont leave anything in the woods....

last year i did leave 2 lock ons out....hung them, used a cable lock on them, and removed the last 10ft of steps at the bottom...noone stole them, but they were also in places noone else likely saw them...and, i put a nice camo job on them....normal colored stands stick out like a sore thumb...my camo job REALLY helped...i had buddies walk by my stand that was hung LOW...12-15ft low...knowing the area it was in and looking for it and they missed it...it just dont stick out like a normal stand and thats what they were looking for...IMO it helps....

locks and taking steps just makes it more of a hassle to get to it...still could take it if they wanted it....but thats ALOT of work for a 30$ lock on!!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, a car battery will not shock you...I've taken 2 wenches and put them on the posts and hit them together to see how much spark I have many, many times...

Your best bet is to take it out with you...I use climbers...

As far as trail cameras, I put them out in late July and take up in the middle of August, when most guys aren't in the woods looking...If I put them out during the season, it is on a ditch/creek crossing instead of an obvious place, like a mineral lick or a corn pile...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a lock at Wal-mart last night and theres no spot on it to get bolt cutters on so I think I will get one of those for my cuddeback. Should keep it from getting stolen (hopefully)
I doubt this will work if someone really wants it. I had a really good lock on a camera a few years ago. They cut the whole damn tree down and slide the camera off. Locks will keep honest people honest, but if they want it bad enough, it is as good a gone.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

I saw a lock at Wal-mart last night and theres no spot on it to get bolt cutters on so I think I will get one of those for my cuddeback. Should keep it from getting stolen (hopefully)
I doubt this will work if someone really wants it. I had a really good lock on a camera a few years ago. They cut the whole damn tree down and slide the camera off. Locks will keep honest people honest, but if they want it bad enough, it is as good a gone.
I have to say, Thats probablly one of the funniest things I've heard all year, Although it sucks Its still way more work that I would picture anyone doing. Good suggestion though.

Ryan.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It just goes to show you the lengths people will go when you have something they want!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

My thoughts exactly!! I've always been told, "If someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way to get it." I've found that there is a lot of truth to this statement too.

I've been very lucky. I hunt a small farm and leave three game camera's and about 6 portable tree stands with steps/ladders in place all during the hunting season. Knock on wood....we've not had a problem with thieves yet. Caught many an unsuspecting person walking through the woods (on camera), but never lost anything.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

never had to really worry about it. if someone wants my stand bad enough let them have it, just have fun making it to them since they arent on any roads.. or even visable from any place. plus i like to remove the top strap from my climbing stick if im not hunting a particular stand.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

i like to rig up all my stands with a stick of dynamite! LOL!

rick

Quick Reply: How Do you Keep your stuff from walking away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.