Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mule Deer Question

Old 08-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mule Deer Question

I have recently moved to a new area here in Nebraska and just aquired some new land to hunt on (tonight actually). The land is 3 full sections (about 1900) acres with no other bowhunters on it.

My question is that this land is in the open sandhills of Nebraska and there are very few trees and or cover at all for that matter on any of this land. There are a few whitetails that have moved in but is mainly mule deer country. How do you guys hunt this kind of area? I have heard of setting a ground blind near the windmills where the deer will come in to get water but there will be no way to "brush in" the blind. Do blinds need to be brushed in for mule deer?

Daniel
Old 08-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mule Deer Question

I think if you put the blind out ahead of time and they got used to it you wouldn't have to worry about brushing it in. That is just my assumption though
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have a new double bull blind so leaving it out is not an option (for me anyways). Hopefully someone on this site hunts muleys out in the open.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is making one out of square hay bails a option?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: solocamcan
Is making one out of square hay bails a option?
Would that be considered baiting? (jk)
Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 AM

I have hunted mule deer in areas similar to what you are describing. Are there any windmills over stock tanks or wells that you could (with permission) put a stand in? This has worked for antelope and mulies in the area I was born and raised in. Using the natural contours of the land is very important for stalking. Spot deer from a distance, wait for them to bed, and hone your stalking skills. Lots of trial and error are needed to hunt in areas that aren't optimal for setting up and waiting.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Yes there are windmills with stock tanks that I could hunt out of. I will probably give that a try. I am also going to set my ground blind up near the windmill and and see how the deer react to it. Stalking with a rifle would be a possibility but I am not sure how to get close enough with a bow. The grass is about 6" tall in some areas and much shorter in others. This is going to be a much different way of hunting than what I have done in the past, but it should be a fun new challenge.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

just spot and stalk
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Apit blind would be another option. Get permission first...
Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Even with only 6" of cover it is possible to stalk or ambush a mule deer. Using the rises and depressions in the land can be a great way to do this. For instance, if you see a group of mulies traveling a certain direction, get in front of them, wait in a low area and remain still. Sometimes they will pass within bow range and as long as you are still can have a chance. Mulies won't always bust out of the area when they spot you as a whitetail will. That hesitation on the deer's part while trying to figure out what that camo blob is can be enough to send an arrow through the pump station! Just make sure you are ready when the opportunities arise.

Give it a try. It's a steep learning curvebut I promise that the reward of a successful stalk in country as you describe will likely outweigh any hunt you've had in a stand. Be prepared to fail a lot at first, but be persistent.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Mule Deer Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.