Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shield Cut Vs. Parabolic??

Old 08-12-2008, 10:50 AM

Default RE: Shield Cut Vs. Parabolic??

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

But again, wouldn't it also slow down faster?
ONLY thing I can think of Mo.....is IF he's considering "identical" to mean vanes v. feathers (and not total arrow weight)......the lighter arrow is gonna go faster. Period. SO its not gonna slow down, faster. The heavier arrow would.

Now one "could" throw "drag" into that mix and they may be able to argue (as you're doing....well....not "arguing") that would offset the weight issue.

I just don't know, though.
Ok, now I know that to be incorrect. A heavier arrow will retain it's speed longer than a light arrow. Heavy arrows don't slow down as rapidly, but they do drop faster. This gets into that whole momentum thing again.....

I don't know either, to be perfectly honest. This graph goes against what I've been told, and my own logic though to be sure. Greg, do you happen to have a link so one could read that entire report? My curiosity is through the roof now...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not to the entire report conducted by Norb and Dave, I don't.

Or does the weight difference negate that?
I'm thinking this is the correct train of thought... if all things were equal, as Jeff said -- or "identical" as the summation of the repot stated -- then the only difference would be the weight savings of feather vs. plastic, which would probably equate to about 40 grains or so. The increased drag realized from the feathers would be offset by the heavier mass as far as fps and its corresponding downrange drag goes.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

You are correct. "Slow down" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps I should have said it would"retain its position in flight", better(to relate it to the subject matter at hand....which is stabilization at longer distances).

But again, wouldn't it also slow down faster?
So....yes....but with a (possible positive) trade-off. Would FOC be coming into play?

I'm also assuming these two arrows would be shot from the same bow.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:22 AM

Yeah, it would definetly seem to me then that the feathered arrow would certainly slow down quicker. First, it's lighter. But, it's launch speed was faster. And, the feathered arrow has more drag, slowing it down that much quicker. But, again, due to it's faster launch speed, it takes a bit for that vaned arrow to "catch up"......LOL.....so basically, what we have here is a draw, right?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only a draw from 41 yards to 61 yards; before that, the advantage goes to the feathers.

Further tests by Dave Holt showed that the feather fletched arrow was faster than the identical plastic fletched arrow out to 41 yards. The feather fletched arrow then matched the plastic fletched arrow out to 61 yards (the limit of the test range).
Given the inherent FOC advantages of feathers added to the forgiving nature of them, I would say there's a decided advantage in shooting feathers.

Also, given the fact that the old myth about shooting vanes vs. feathers for fear of getting them wet has been proven on here many times to not hold water (pun intended), and that most archers think feathers are more aesthetically pleasing on top of all that... it's no wonder I've shot feathers for well over a decade now.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 AM

And it's no wonder I've switched to feathers, and don't see going back anytime soon. This turned into an interesting discussion, thank you gentlemen. So, the old addage that feathers don't fly well when wet is all washed up, huh? LOL...come on, you know that was funny....you KNOW it was.....

I've seen that already. I shot a 3D last year w/ a guy shooting feathers, and it was raining. Other than the explosion of water at the shot, there was no difference.

disclaimer: I said the same thing when I switched to Blazers a few years ago, so I wouldn't put much stock in the above statement. Who knows what the heck I'll be shooting next year.... [&:]

Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

...yeah but feathers are noisy if you brush them up against stuff and they're more expensive than vanes.

(sheesh, guys... hold back a bit. Can't have everybody shooting feathers, supply and demand you know. )
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL, Christine! Good point.

Yeah... feathers suck.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

LOL, Christine! Good point.

Yeah... feathers suck.
I hate all you guys,

I'm already looking at aluminuim arrows and barred shield cut feathers ...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, interesting discussion. Some things in there are conflicting with how I had them ordered in my brain. Going to the shop tomorrow...may just have to fletch up a few with feathers. Interesting read for sure, well done gents!

As you can see...I have nothing of any substance to add to this discussion...

Quick Reply: Shield Cut Vs. Parabolic??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.