Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shield Cut Vs. Parabolic??

Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shield Cut Vs. Parabolic??

Personally, I like parabolic because they are extremely quiet. For looks I love the Pope and Young cut (bottom three), but they are aweful noisy.

They all will stabilize and arrow though.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, maybe something else to consider is your shooting distance. Feathers slow down rapidly after about 45 yards,
In case you've never read this...

Independent tests by bow testing authority Norb Mullaney have shown that a feather fletched arrow is still traveling 4 ft./sec. faster than plastic fletch, 29 yards down range. At all normal hunting ranges, feather fletched arrows travel faster, drop less, and arrive sooner than plastic fletched arrows.

[blockquote]Further tests by Dave Holt showed that the feather fletched arrow was faster than the identical plastic fletched arrow out to 41 yards. The feather fletched arrow then matched the plastic fletched arrow out to 61 yards (the limit of the test range). Through out the 61 yard range, the feather fletched arrow arrived at each distance in less time than the vane fletched arrow.

[/blockquote]
Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

That's cool info Greg.Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Greg....

I got accused of reading too much into one test....so I'll just ask the parameters of this one, up front.

"All things being equal"? Were the two arrows FOC the same?

Were they identical in weight (I'm guessing you would have had to add nock weight to the feather arrowsor something else to achieve this?)?

I guess when he says "identical".....does that means "the same" except one is fletched with vanes and the other with feathers?.....Or....is the above true?

Just curious. Reason I ask is.....the difference in weight, alone, could make up "some" fps differences. Right?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:09 AM

Yeah, now that's some sweet information right there.....That sure goes against what I'm seeing though. I'm shooting at 60 yards a lot here lately, and them babies drop off the planet quick, fast, and in a big hurry. I'm certainly not arguing the man, but don't feathers stabilize better because they disrupt more air; wind resistance? And if so, would that not cause them to slow down more quickly? Or does the weight difference negate that?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

It's my understanding, Mo......that the feathers are "better" at short range.....but that your point of diminishing returns kicks in around 35-40yds. (in terms of stabilizing your arrow/accuracy).

Of course....you'd HOPE that both had that job (stabilization)covered LONG before they got to those distances.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 AM

Jeff, that makes sense. But again, wouldn't they be "better" because they disrupt more air? And, wouldn't that cause them to slow down more quickly? If that's the case, I can understand why they are better at short range. And, I can see why at around 40 yards the vane has "caught up" in regards to stabilization. And I certainly understand the weight difference causing a feather fletched arrow to leave the bow faster....But again, wouldn't it also slow down faster?

I don't want to seem like I'm arguing an authority on the subject (Norb) but that goes against what I would think....Not that what I think is right, but you know what I mean....
Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

But again, wouldn't it also slow down faster?
ONLY thing I can think of Mo.....is IF he's considering "identical" to mean vanes v. feathers (and not total arrow weight)......the lighter arrow is gonna go faster. Period. SO its not gonna slow down, faster. The heavier arrow would.

Now one "could" throw "drag" into that mix and they may be able to argue (as you're doing....well....not "arguing") that would offset the weight issue.

I just don't know, though.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

Yeah, now that's some sweet information right there.....That sure goes against what I'm seeing though. I'm shooting at 60 yards a lot here lately, and them babies drop off the planet quick, fast, and in a big hurry. I'm certainly not arguing the man, but don't feathers stabilize better because they disrupt more air; wind resistance? And if so, would that not cause them to slow down more quickly? Or does the weight difference negate that?
I suspect that the feathers and vanes in the test were fletched at a slight offset and your feathers (mine too) are fletched using a helical. Mine are fletched with a helical and offset and that is why, in my tests, that my feathered arrows slowed down more quickly at the longer ranges.

I also suspect that blazers would be faster than 4" plastic vanes and more equal to feathers in a similar test.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I'm sort of like you... I think identical means identical.

As far as parabolics being accurate? I shot a 3d shoot Sunday with some friendson here, and did "OK" but wasn't happy with the results... Of course, I had just broadhead-tuned my bow the night before really quickly to get ready for Colorado, and had only shot one three-arrow group with my new heavier arrows at 20 yards.

I came home that afternoon and found out that the extra FOC and mass necessitated an increased pin gap from 30 out to 50. After I got my sights dialed in, this was my first 30-yard group. Someone asked a few weeks ago why I use pin nocks? For this reason right here.... Sure would have been nice to have had 'em on this dozen as well.

Quick Reply: Shield Cut Vs. Parabolic??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.