Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shield Cut Vs. Parabolic??

Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shield Cut Vs. Parabolic??

Are there any downfalls to parabolic?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

BHB

I have have shot parabolic for 15 years and no issues, they group well no issues stablizing BH, and I used to use the 5 inch version, the last 5 or so years have shot 4inch, and yes they are barred as well. I shot all white for years and they are sharp as well
Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

So then what makes everyone like the shield cut better?

Looks? or performance?
Both, I like the looks and I shoot fingers!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, thanks guys....i was thinkin parabolic but now i am second guessing although MeanV has some parabolics for a pretty good price....
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ordered some Razr. feathers from Dan, for hunting. I already have some on another dozen of arrows, and I like them. I'm guessing those are shield cut.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about the razyrs for a while but I decided if I was gonna get feathers I might as well go get some 4 inchers!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

anyone else have some input?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

I like the looks of the shield but use parabolic instead. I think they're quieter.

I do have one single arrow with the little rayzr feathers on them and it's amazing how well those dink feathers work. Resilient too. They've gone through green corn stalks twice and spring right back up. The only thing is that they have a greenish tint now, they were white. (sometimes the cornfield jumps out and blocks my small 40 yard target. That's my story and I'm sticking to it)

I'll probably stick with four or five inch parabolic feathers for awhile tho'. (because I have a couple hundred still hanging around)

Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 PM

BHB,

I have both of them in all white. I have 4" parabolic feathers on my trad arrows, although I prefer shield cut.

Here they are in all white.

But the shield cuts that I prefer are the Rayzrs. That is what I am using on my carbon arrows this fall.

The top arrow in this picture is my hunting arrow for my coumpound.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 AM

As far as performance, they're pretty equal. If we define performance as stabilization. The shield cut has a bit more drag which is what stabilizes the arrow, but really......It's not enough to notice. They both perform very, very well.

So it really comes down to what you want. If you don't mind that little bit of extra noise, and I can tell you that's really a moot point, and like the looks of the shield cut.....Go for it. If you want the stabilization characteristics of feathers, but want them as quiet as possible, go with parabolic on an offset, not helical. You won't get as much spin, but they will be quieter and a tad faster.

Oh, maybe something else to consider is your shooting distance. Feathers slow down rapidly after about 45 yards, and shields are even worse. I shoot alot at 60 and 70 yards, and I can tell you that my shields on a helical drop off really quick past that. Really, really quick. But, they hit where I'm aiming.

Quick Reply: Shield Cut Vs. Parabolic??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.