Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best All Around Hunting Knife?

Old 03-09-2003, 04:51 PM

Default Best All Around Hunting Knife?

In your experiences, which knife is the best for pratical purposes such as carrying, cleaning game, etc? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Spike

Default RE: Best All Around Hunting Knife?

This might be funny to you but,i carry a plain old pearing knife,i clean squirrels,rabbits deer.It is easy to sharpen to a razors edge.I also use it to peal potatoes,after i clean it
But don' t get me wrong i have all sorts of hunting knives from a brownning to a buck but none sutes me better than a good pearing knife
Old 03-09-2003, 05:12 PM

I like the Buck Zipper w/rubber handle. It has a heavy sturdy blade that is easy to sharpen and keep sharp. The gut hook works very well. The rubber handle gives a good grip even when covered in blood. I' ve used a number of different knives over the years but has been the best so far.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto on the Buck Zipper. I bought a special model, made of ATS-34. Supposed to keep an edge even longer. Only used it to dress one deer this year, but it held up very well. It' s just a tad bigger than what I usually like, but so far it seems to work just fine. I just wish someone would make a knife with a blaze orange or yellow handle, for when you set it down while field dressing. Sometimes it get slid under the leaves, and can be hard to see. Since your knife is the most valuable tool that you can take in the woods, I haven' t figured out the reasoning behind camoflauge knives, yet.
Charlie
Old 03-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually bring a gerber fixed blade and a kershaw set with a gut hook/skinner, regular knife and bone/small tree and brush saw. I used the kershaw on my spring black bear and it was sharp after the bear was skinned, quartered and boned out. The only problem was I had some gunk in the pivoting point, and when I tried to take the blade out, it was a little tight, and when I torqued on it some it popped off, dropped off the side of the boat and I watched it glimmer down to the ocean bottom. [] I called kershaw, told them exactly what happened and they not only sent me a new blade, but a new handle as well, even though I had not lost the handle. Can' t beat customer service like that!
Old 03-09-2003, 05:52 PM

I used a little K-Bar with a gut hook. I got a Browning (don' t remember the model) for Christmas. It has a knife, gut hook, and a saw that' s replaceable. So far I like that one a lot.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:26 PM

I think a common mistake is to buy one too big. A 3-4 inch folding blade is all you need. I use a buck knife. You have to work on getting a good edge on it, but it stays sharp.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:37 PM

I use buck, and will never use anything else. they are good knives and stay sharp for long periods of time.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-09-2003, 07:45 PM

Gerber gator.Holds edge well.Rubber no slip handle works good when wet.Gerber also makes a blade similar to wyoming knife that uses regular boxcutter blades.Good for ripping open cavity without cutting guts.

CB

Quick Reply: Best All Around Hunting Knife?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.