Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best All Around Hunting Knife?

Old 03-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Spike

Default RE: Best All Around Hunting Knife?

I' ll vouch on the Gerber Gator, excellent knife. My favorite is the buck passed on to me from Grampa, many memories in that knife.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Over the years I' ve used Buck, Case, K-bar, Gerber, Schrade, Cold Steel, Kershaw, CRKT, Western, Puma, Opinel.... More different brands than I remember and I can honestly say I' ve not had a bad knife from any of those outfits. Just some weren' t quite as good as others. My favorite was Western (the OLD Western Cutlery Company, not the crud that Camillus has been putting out under that name).

I' m another that doesn' t like cleaning the blood and guts out of folders. Preference is for fixed blades. 3-4" , as said before, for gutting and skinning.

Right now I' m using a Helle Nying, and I can tell you those triple laminated blades are something else! Very oddball, traditional Scandinavian-style handle, but very comfortable and practical once you get used to the feel.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a SCHRADE OLD TIMER. It is a lock folding knife with a 3 inch blade, 1 3/4 straight blade edge and a 1 1/4 serated blade edge, with a 43/4 inch handle made of plastic with a non slip type of coating, comes with a a heavy fabric belt holder that can be thrown in the washer when soiled. The curve in the blade is well placed for a index finger push down on the blade and also has a plastic piece mounted in the top back of the blade for gripping the the top of the blade. It holds a really sharp edge for a long time. I used it to remove fletching from a carbon arrow and then was able to field dress a deer without sharpening the blade between uses.
Heck I was on a outfitters hunt and the owner and my guide both had knifes for field dressing my deer that had dull blades so I handed them my OLD TIMER and they were both very impressed with the knife, they said leave it to the lady to have a knife sharper than ours[][&:]
My husband picked it up for me at Wal-Mart for $ 19.99, I love the knife and thought it was a heck of a good deal he got.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a few knives and am happy with my kershaw . I allso have used a pairing knife like swamper and they work great . A small swept back blade is best if you are cleaning alot of animals and they sharpen easyer allso . AK thats a real nice blade you got there .
Old 03-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

After trying many knives over the years, I' ve decided that I like a fixed blade with a rubber handle, and a 4-5" (thin, not wide) blade. This seems to be the best combination for me. I use this knife strictly for field dressing. Works very well. I also have other knives I use for skinning, butchering, etc.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a Kersaw and a Wenger---guess I' m the first on here to mention the granddaddy Swiss Army knives.

I' ve carried the Wenger for almost ten years, and can say that the thing can do everything. Plus I get two blades for the price of one...
Old 03-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used an old timer, and it worked fine until I lost it. Then I got a gerber gator and I didn' t like it because it got dull so fast.

So now I use my Buck Pathfinder that my dad gave me when I was young. It ain' t easy to sharpen but it holds an edge for a loooong time. I also have a buck pocket knife that I use sometimes.

I will never use anything other than a buck knife. I had to buy a sharpening kit to get the thing sharp but it gets so much sharper than any other knife I have ever seen. Heck I once shaved with my knife on a backpacking hunting trip.