Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best All Around Hunting Knife?

Old 03-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best All Around Hunting Knife?

I have a drawer full of Buck Knives of all shapes and sizes. They haven' t cut a piece of deer meat in years.

My CHOICE: I carry a Gerber folding knife with a 3 inch blade and rubberized handle. It' ll do anything I hunt. I gut, skin and bone out a deer with it. It' s easy to sharpen and holds an edge quite well.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

My son and I use Buck Lite knives, the same one for 12 yrs. We' ve skinned and quartered close to 40 elk and they' re still going strong. I would highly recommend them. elknut1.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have a remington grizzly...i have the regular straight blade and the bone saw/gut hook model..it has a oversized rubber handle and it worked for me this year...i gutted both my deer and sawed 4 pelvic bones with it this year....only thing is by the time i was done with the second deer the straight edge wasnt sucha razor...but i dont think i sharpened it well enough before season....the rubber handles are nice...all the other knives with various handle materials all got pretty slick when covered in blood....kinda dangerous when your reaching way up there to cut hte esophogus and it slips out of your hand and you have to dig around blindly looking for a knife in a cavity of a deer....but i dont clean that way anymore....i cut hte wind pipe after i remove most of the guts....im still searching for a good knife...i will give the remington another season then goto a gerber if it still doesnt hold an edge....2 deer really isnt much to ask from a knife....atleast i dont think so lol...

Old 03-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

i use a buck folding lockback rubber handle half serrated blade thumb nob for easy opening thick nylon case as abow hunter dont want no leather case obsorbse to much human order awsome knife
Old 03-10-2003, 07:33 AM

I have the Buck Vanguard with the rubber handle. I still carry my orginal Buck 110 folding lockblade that I have had for maybe 10 years or more. Still keeps a razors edge.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Case folding 3" lock blade, it is a tradition so I have to take this baby. Before I lost it my Case XX Changer would never miss a trip as well. I have since replaced it with a Kershaw Alaskan Blade Brader set. In it I have the saw, drop blade, gut hook/skinner balde and a 8" fillet knife that works perfect for deboning (much to rigid for filleting, imo).

Old 03-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Let me throw in another vote for the Buck Zipper. Great knife! I also use my tried and true Benchmade folder that I don' t leave home without.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lets see, I have a Puma folding knife 2 3/4 inch blade. Very nice for cleaning deer. I have 3" case, which is extremely sharp, I have a 1 3/4 folding buck knive which will keep an edge like no-ones business, and a bunch of others. But, I' d have to say that my favorite knive is one that my Uncle gave me way back when I was 14 when he was in Germany. It' s called an Edge Brand (made in Germany), and it is really something. I have never seen this knive anywhere.

I must say though, that if I were to buy another knive, it would be a Buck Alpha Hunter, Rosewood.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:22 PM
AK

I much prefer fixed blades. I used a folding Bucklite for years, but it lacked sturdiness to dig, pry, and do tough chores (I know, I know). I also didn' t like the tedious cleaning job of the handle groove and hinge that lay after every use on game.

For practicality, I really like the downsized version of the Marine K-Bar knife I' ve been using the last couple of years. It' s super rugged to pry broadheads from tree stumps, split pelvic bones, and hack small saplings. It' s also made from quality steel that sharpens well and has a handy blunt end cap for driving in tent stakes and other chores. Refreshingly, it has a decent sheath, too.

Aesthetically, and for delicate skinning jobs, I really like the Siggma knife that I had custom made for me. It' s ruggedly beautiful being made from a very old sawmill blade, and gets scalpel sharp.

Old 03-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

I' ve had a Buck/model #110 for close to 20 years, great
knife that I' m sure will never wear out. It' s a folding
knife with a 3 1/2" blade. I usually leave this at camp
or in my truck until needed.

Every time I head to the woods, whether scouting or
hunting (which is quite often), I always have my
Leatherman Supertool on my belt. If I ever lost
it, I' d go out and buy another the next day.

About a year ago, I received a Browning FDT( Field
Dressing Tool). To say the least I' m dissapointed.
The only thing I use is the caping blade....and
the first time I used the saw cleaning a buck, I had
several teeth break right off[:@]...and to make it
worse, it wasn' t even my buck...it was my brothers.

Quick Reply: Best All Around Hunting Knife?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.