Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you had ten great spots to hunt--your 2008 game plan?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you had ten great spots to hunt--your 2008 game plan?

Say all things being equal, you had 10 great spots to hunt. Lets say all of the ten spots had know bedding areas/thickets close by and that you were relatively certain a decent buck bedded down in those thickets.

Would you invade 5 of the bedding areas in October, thereby leaving 5 more untouched until the pre-rut?

Or would you stay away from the bedding areas all together until the pre-rut/rut and then begin alternating stand sites from one bedding area to the next?

I know this is a pretty generalized post, but I need to develop a gameplan for the upcoming season and would really appreciate any advice. I do understand that things change during the season and that some places get hot and other don't for some reason. The reason I am asking is because I feel sometimes I play it too safe and don't invade thickets/bedding areas enough throughout the season. I believe this could be one of the reasons I am not seeing more mature bucks. I have really scouted my butt off this year and have added 4-5 new good areas to my arsenal, so I am not as concerned with messing up an area in fear of ruining a good portion of my hunting grounds. Thank you all for any advice on developing a tentative gameplan for the upcoming season.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 PM

Default RE: If you had ten great spots to hunt--your game plan?

Well im sure you will want to leave at lesst 2-3 spots un touched for rut. Good luck hunting where ever you end up.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would save the very best scrape spots for a perfect wind, pre-rut day. Your odds of seeing a mature buck are much higher - even if it hasn't happened yet. Hunt the lesser stands in earlier season. Maybe develop some early season feeding pattern stands - if possible. Personally, I stay out of a few key bedding sanctuaries until the last days of season.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Or would you stay away from the bedding areas all together until the pre-rut/rut and then begin alternating stand sites from one bedding area to the next?
I'll go a step further than that.

I've got a spot I won't go into until late October, now.....because I have other places to hunt (and this has been my most productive spot). I might go into the fringes.....JUST to make sure no one else is going in there.....but I'll stay out of these areas unti I know it's the right time.

Onelock I've never had the key to is.....discerning doe bedding areas from buck bedding areas. I honestly think I have no access to where the bucks are bedding. I've had to wait until they get on the does to hunt them....which has worked out, OK. But if I knew where the bucks were bedding.....and I had access to them....I'd hunt them, there (if everything was perfect).......gradually going in deeper and deeper.

I think we're (many of us.....because I was) under the false impression that they're hanging out, together (bucks and does). I haven't found this to be true.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a firm believer in right buck.. right time.

I would scout. And scout hard. Staying back laying low.. and watching from a distance.

It is almost a certainty that at least one of those bucks will be more visual than the rest in late summer. He would become the first buck I seek. He's there now.. so I want to hunt him there now. Get it.

The rest of the season would follow accordingly.

Right buck.. right time.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you all for your responses. So Duke..."right buck, right time". Does that mean you scout alot during the season? In terms of scouting I mean just speed scouting or just noticing sign around where you are hunting, and then setting up accordingly?

And GMMAT, I have a couple of spots that I won't go until late October/early November. The only problem for me is that even though most of my spots are in deep, I have no control over where others are hunting, so I have to have alot of spots lined up just in case 2-3 spots fall victim to hunter pressure/no activity.

kwilson...I have food source stand sites as well, but I am hunting the big woods and have to really narrow my hunting spots down to have a chance. I hear you about the best scrape spots...I have 3 now that have massive scrapes, I just have never seen the bucks that make them....and most of them are very close to monster rubs. I am just hoping noone ruins the spots, so I have found another few spots off the beaten trail and in really crazy spots for back up options.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

So Duke..."right buck, right time". Does that mean you scout alot during the season? In terms of scouting I mean just speed scouting or just noticing sign around where you are hunting, and then setting up accordingly?
Both. If that helps.

Different situations always account for different hunting styles. I keep my options open.

As far as scouting is concerned.. I do alot of it. With exception to this year.. I've been slacking big time. Too much hangin' with the wife.[X(]
Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Duke. I was hoping to get some advice on some of y'alls game plans for the 2008 season based on your scouting and/or overall method of hunting.....I need help!
Old 08-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Me?? I also have many spots I'm comfortable with. The exception is I wouldn't invade a known bedding areain any of them. If I go into a bedding area at all it's after seasons end, just to scout to see if what I thought was happening indeed was. If you know where they are bedding you simply have to find out where they go when they leave or how they come back. Why disturb the sanctuary and possibly mess up the entire pattern.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

GR8--I am not saying "I" have 10 great spots...I have 10 "spots"--LOL. Mature bucks around here and few and far between. That is why I am asking about attacking bedding areas if I know I have back up areas to hunt. I need to take more chances I believe to get on more mature bucks.

Quick Reply: If you had ten great spots to hunt--your 2008 game plan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.