Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you had ten great spots to hunt--your 2008 game plan?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM

Default RE: If you had ten great spots to hunt--your game plan?

I'd invade all 10 the first 10 hunts given the right wind.... Then I would start over and rotate them again.... You can get 20 hunts in high quality bedding areas.... But then again I'm spending too much time hanging out with the bloodbros
Old 08-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm just saying, you seem to know the area(s) pretty well. Obviously better than anyone on the internet could. How many areas can you hunt with the changing winds? Can you afford to screw up a couple, if the invasion doesn't work.

Sometimes in a drought or when things get tough it's easy to get aggressive. But many times this is when we have to be even more cautious. Get further away, sacrafice a hunt or two, to sit even more on the outer edges and learn the movements better. I do this quite a bit and often times when I figure I'm kinda taking myself out of the game for the night to observe... the craziest encounters happen.

Good luck in what-ever you decide to do.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Double Creek! Thats the attitude I need to adopt! Attack!

Gr8--"Get further away, sacrafice a hunt or two, to sit even more on the outer edges and learn the movements better."--good advice---noted. I understand what you are saying. There aren't a ton of great places around here so when i do find them, I feel that sometimes I am overly cautious and don't take enough chances when the time is right. I have to learn a better balance between risks/stupidity when attacking a good area. I usually try to leave the good spots alone until late October, but I have more spots this year and cannot cover them all during the first couple of weeks of November, so I am willing to invade a couple of mid-level type spots with aggressive stand sites----just trying to solidify a solid game plan for this year.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I have to learn a better balance between risks/stupidity when attacking a good area.
There's a fine line between trusting your "killer instinct" and hunting smart.

It makes hunting fun.