Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ag fields close to bedding area

Old 08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ag fields close to bedding area

Would it make any difference if I went in EARLY? I'm talking 4:00AM?
It's risky.. no doubt. But if you want big rewards sometimes you have to take big risks.

Earlier is definately better though.

From my own experience.. and that of which I've learned from and with constant others..

Avoid walking through any Ag land if you can.

if you cannot..

Wait for the approaching breeding season.. even if it's still a couple weeks out. But the timing of the year is approaching and fall is here. Wait for that good cold front.. something to keep a buck on its feet a little longer as he's out messing with the ladies.

Then get in early. The earlier the better. And sit tight.

Now the foundation of the entire hunt is the bean fields. They come in early usually (the farmers take them away). I don't know when in NC.. but I know in Illinois the general time frame.. So you have to throw this into the equation as well. And this may very well determine the very best time to hunt this stand.

Bucks love the beans just before they dry. But much of the time they all but disappear usually as the beans dry up.. and other sources of food get hot. This is the other problem.

This is where my choice of hunting the stand only in the evening would come into play. Unless I could get that luck.. and that cold front early enough in the season.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

It's risky.. no doubt. But if you want big rewards sometimes you have to take big risks.
I've got a stand site for an afternoon hunt that's perfect for that little field. I just HATE to let that spot go (for mornings)....as I KNOW they're using it for egress to and from (the woodlot). I couldn't care less about that field....(mornings), except it's thesneakiest way (I have) to access the woodlot.

Sucks having the spot and not being able to hunt it....right.

Knowing me....I'll take that chance and go in, early. Who knows what I'm messing up? OR....if I play it right?

I'll follow my gut, I guess.Having never hunted there is gonna hurt me, I know.

Here's another question, Duke.....lol. Would you shoot a doe, here? Slam dunk?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sucks having the spot and not being able to hunt it....right.

Knowing me....I'll take that chance and go in, early. Who knows what I'm messing up? OR....if I play it right?

I'll follow my gut, I guess. Having never hunted there is gonna hurt me, I know.

Here's another question, Duke.....lol. Would you shoot a doe, here? Slam dunk?
Welcome to hunting with Ag fields.

As far as shooting a doe... not on your life.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for your "help" Duke.

Things I have learned, today:

I have GREAT numbers of deer.........too many does.......can't shoot one...and it wouldn't matter.....because I have nowhere I can hunt.

Sounds like a stellar fall is imminent.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to change my answer with my original post about shooting does.

It's hard not to think of where I hunt compared with you Jeff. As it is with anyone.

If you have a ton of does.. by all means take some down. But try to do it in a way that won't possibly hurt your chances at a good buck.

Can I ask you a Q Jeff..?

If you are seeing so many deer in the evening.. why do you wish to even chance it in the am..??
Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

But try to do it in a way that won't possibly hurt your chances at a good buck.
That's why I referenced the "slam dunk". I know I GOTTA be careful they don't make it back into the bedding area. I know there are no guarantees.....but a 15 yd shot to a broadside deer......I think I can make it count.

I ALWAYS welcome your questions, Duke.

If you are seeing so many deer in the evening.. why do you wish to even chance it in the am..??
You may be thinking that "I" was talking about my hunting lands, earlier....in relation to how many deer I was seeing. Fact is....that was at someone else's place. I see more deer, here, AM v. PM. (In this area). They may be coming from further away than I'm thinking....but I'm sure they're bedding in the thicket below the field.

I haven't seen great numbers of deer, here. I have seen "good" numbers. With our season <40 days out....I'll start to scout this area hard in the coming 20 days.

I suppose if I didn't want to throw caution to the wind.....I could use afternoon sits to scout, also......in season.

As far as I know.....NO ONE is going in there, at all. I know people use this road to walk, every morning, but I should be the only one hunting, there.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

GMMAT, had a similar thing in Md. except they were corn fields. They'd bed in the small corn field while it was still standing and then get up and browse through a hedgerow to the bigger field. Eventually after dark they ended up in an alfalfa field the other side of both. When the corn got cut they come out in the small field but didn't stay in it long. They'd get right on through the hedgerow and into the bigger more open field to feed. Eventually again they moved on to the alfalfa after dark as it was near a road. The one constant, is they were much easier to predict coming into the small field. Once they hit the bigger field they could go a zillion directions and did. Oh they had their prefered trails and little dips and rises they prefered, but nothing was as predictable as where they'd enter and leave the small field. Bucks will be right near dark if not after dark and have their own little routines. You're more likely to catch them closer to the beds, both coming and going,which is the small field. There's safety in having the woods close, but they seem to want to get out where they have more options. I'd hunt the small field, see what they do and go from there. They have their favorite routes.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

If you'll notice in the southwest, inside corner of that little field, Frank found a small tree I could climb.....and I can shoot all the way to the SE inside corner....or...where I think they'll be entering that field.

You're making me re-think....and that's a good thing.

I can go in there in the evening and cover that entire corner. The amount of deer scat on the ground along that field edge is tremendous. The little trails on the field edge (from the corner up to the tree we picked out) is are also very worn and defined.

I can also go to that farm house (lower) on the right hand side of the road to scout. No one lives there. I can see, from there, if they're using the woodlot to get to the bigger fields.

I may only see a bunch of does.....but it looks absolutely great.

I appreciate you guys time.....immensely.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a great place, good luck putting it all together.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a spot just like you mentioned.. Does are bedding right on the edge of a field. It's beans this year.. I have a hang on set up right in there. I will get deer coming and going all day in this area. I may bump a doe from time to time but come rut time the bucks are coming right through looking for does. I hunt it with a south wind about 30 yds in the woods and have good luck..

Quick Reply: Ag fields close to bedding area

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.