Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Giant Windmills ..... will they effect my spot?*******UPDATE******

Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Giant Windmills ..... will they effect my spot?

I doubt the deer will care.

Watch out for Don Quixote tho'.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 AM

No. the blades are not heated, no, ice won't bring it down. BUT, ice coming off the blades at a high rate of speed as it begins to melt off can seriously ruin your day. It wasn't speculation on my part, I have seen it.

The construction phase will probably put a serious damper on your hunting Tony, but after that it shouldn't really change anything. There is tons of wind energy in our part of the world, in fact they are putting up a new field out where our land is. I have to go to a signup meeting today on it.

If you are really interested in the whole wind energy thing, and it's effects on hunting, I can probably PM you a link. It is to the TexasBowhunters website, and there are alot of guys on there that have experience with both the mechanics of wind energy and hunting around the units. They had an extensive thread on it not too long ago.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Critr-Gitr

No. the blades are not heated, no, ice won't bring it down. BUT, ice coming off the blades at a high rate of speed as it begins to melt off can seriously ruin your day. It wasn't speculation on my part, I have seen it.

The construction phase will probably put a serious damper on your hunting Tony, but after that it shouldn't really change anything. There is tons of wind energy in our part of the world, in fact they are putting up a new field out where our land is. I have to go to a signup meeting today on it.

If you are really interested in the whole wind energy thing, and it's effects on hunting, I can probably PM you a link. It is to the TexasBowhunters website, and there are alot of guys on there that have experience with both the mechanics of wind energy and hunting around the units. They had an extensive thread on it not too long ago.
Jeff, I would love more info on it...... looking forward to your PM ....
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 AM

Let me see if I can find it, it was a couple weeks ago and that board gets alot of traffic.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:49 AM

Try this.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45921&highlight=wind+turbines
Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 AM

i also hunt in wny...partly. this year i am going to be hunting near some windmills as well. so i am wondering the very same question. hopefully everything will remain the same.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take it you hunt the Cohocton/Wayland area where they have been jamming them in. I hunt in the Wayland area and I don't think they will effect much like anything the deer will get use to them. I hunt turkeys up North on a 500 acre farm where they plastered the windmills last year, the birds didn't seem to be effected in the least bit, it does impede hearing a bit though. Good luck
Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Theres a huge wind field down by Oshkosh that goes on for miles and miles and miles and miles thats all you can see.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks for the link, Jeff ....interesting thoughts!