Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer and Rain

Old 08-10-2008, 05:58 PM

Default Deer and Rain

I dont care what the experts say, I want to know what people on here have seen with thier own eyes, How do deer move in the rain?

Thanks, its been raining for almost 24 hours here.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:00 PM

Default RE: Deer and Rain

from what ive seen it doesnt really effect there movement.

it might be alittle slower during the rain, but not much.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it definitely slows them down some. I don't see near the amount of deer out in the fields when its raining pretty steady. As soon as the rain quits or slows it seems they all fly on out there then.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I had a great hunt in the rain... I like to head to thick parts to hunt in the rain, the deer like to stay in shelter and the congregate there. Not to mention its best to be near their cover as soon as the rain stops...

Simply: The deer still move, you just have to change your tactics.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

A heavy, heavy rain I found will shut deer movement down, but in most rains I've seen a pile of deer. They don't have the option to go inside.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think a heavy rainkeeps them bedded, but a light rain doesn't bother them. Like Steve said, after a heavy rain they come out of the woodwork. I love huntingon a misty daybecause they will move almost any time, it seems.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

I always see the same deer in the fields rain or shine
Old 08-10-2008, 06:26 PM

Im my areas I have rarely seen deer in the rain. It just seems to shut them down.. Once it stops they are up and moving.. I use those days to take a break and catch up on chores around the house.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

I like when it rains. Shot a real good buck in NY just before a good thunder storm. Actually heard the thunder in the distance and was working to get out of the tree when the buck was behind me about 15 yards. Not the brightest thing ! I like to get in my stand prior to the rain moving out. Noticed that deer tend to jump from their beds and get on the move. If your a scrape hunter, this is the best time to catch those bucks freshing them up.

We get a few good showers during the pre-rut, as this has been a good strategy for me
Old 08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen just as much if not more deer movement in light to moderate rain as I have when it was not raining. When it pours buckets I tend to find them in their beds.

Quick Reply: Deer and Rain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.