Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

seeing a deer from the road and stalking it

Old 08-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Spike

Default RE: shooting from the road when you were driving.

wouldn't have a problem with it. As long as it is legal
Old 08-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think you get what i mean rob. like you usually do must be better at reading my post.
Again guys i do not mean to stop and shoot from my truck or just jump out and walk to feet in the woods and shoot.

I mean to pull up 50 or 100 yards or what ever it be out of sight.
Hike into the woods out of sight of the deer and stalk to them and shoot if i Can be it with a bow or muzzle loader or shotgun.
i would not just shoot from the road or with out making sure the shot is clear. just like anyone else stalking a deer.
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

In PA it's illegal to step out of a vehicle and shoot at any animal, however, it is totally legal to drive up the road, get out and walk back the road and shoot from the road. If you get out of a vehicle, you have to walk off the road XX yards, but if your parked 100 yards down the road I honestly don't think it's illegal to shoot from said road.

Every rifle season guys line up on the roads to watch as drivers push woods.

That being said,

I really don't see a problem if you put a good stalk on a deer after seeing them from the vehicle. Tim's question, would you walk back and off the road into the woods and take a shot? I consider walking into bow range of any animal is a feat regardless if you caught a glimpse of said animal from a vehicle. Seeing them from the truck, no not hunting but stalking to bow range of a whitetail, hunting no matter how you spotted them. IMO

Never have done that tho, would seriously consider it.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

I would do it.

I THINK in Missouri you have to be so far from your vehicle but as far as distance from the road I don't think it matters as long as you are off the road and not shooting across it.

I have never had this happen but I will brush up on my game laws before season and see what is legal.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:08 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Besides being illegal in just about every state I know of.... the biggest thing is... it's just down right dangerous. You have no idea who's around, who's sitting in the hedgerow behind the animal or anything. I had one of the scariest incidents involving just such a senerio many years ago. I had returned from 2 tours of dodging bullets in Vietnam. I left the service and was living in Georgia. I had this woods that was great and secluded except for a dirt road down one side of it. One particular morning I was hunting about 125 yards off the road in a pine head. It was a big open set of pines with a thicket down one side and at the back. I was sitting near the intersection of the two thickets in the back corner. I was glassing and saw some does come across the road walking in my direction. I wasn't looking for doe meat that day so just relaxed and watched the parade of 8 does. They were maybe 50 yards out in front of me when this pickup came up the road. It was all up hill from the road to this little knob I was on. Big Bubba and Yahoo # 2 see the deer. Their first shot out the drivers window missed it's mark and took the bark off a tree about 3 yards from me at head height. My instant reaction was a round over the pickup which got it moving real fast. They could have just as well hit me as the tree. They didn't see me or know I was there. I had walked in from a logging road 200 yards away. They weren't thinking about someone being around. All they were trying to do was break the law and poach a deer. No deer is worth disregarding the old rule of "being sure of your target and what's beyond". If they had wounded or killed me they probably wouldn't have known it and would have driven off.

He isn't talking about shooting them out of a vehicle or road hunting as we know it. I detest that and agree it is very dangerous and stupid. I've had to hit dirt a few times from carelessroad hunting slobs shooting at running deer.

Sadly it isn't illegal here and used by quite a few. [:'(]

Just not sure how you get road hunting out of seeing a deer, drivng past itand getting out to stalk it. You still have to be sure of your target and what's beyond. We are talking two different things.

Tim

edit... the tittle of the post does sound like road hunting... maybe that is were the confusion is.[&:] Iwas refering to his post. I still agree with you on the road huntingthough.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Old 08-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, i wouldnt

Example: During turkey season me and my brother were in the yards with our guns getting ready to go into the woods and a HUGE gobbler runs accross the road and into the yard with us......neither of us thought about shooting, no reward in that.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

I dont get why you ask this question, the answer is obvious.[&:]
These threads all end up the same...ask a question like this and you will have the doers and the non-doers...and a little arguing and a little mis-interpretation...

My answer is: no, I don't do it hog hunting or bear hunting, so I wouldn't do it deer hunting...JMO...
Old 08-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes i would and have . pulled up to a spot i hunt , saw a doein the distance so i stalked up to her and when i got in range i let her have an arrow through both lungs.
It was challenging
Old 08-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd rather eat dog poop than to hunt like that.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone has there own opinion of "hunting" If it's legal and your ok with it then do it.. Some don't think it's challenging to just go sit in a tree stand and wait for a deer to walk by.. In some regions spot and stalk starts this way. You use a boat or a vehicle to drive and glass until you see an animal. Then you put on a stalk and if your lucky and good you get a shot.. I've seen it done in the mountains and I've seen it done in Africa.. On the other part that some have brought up, if you stopped in the road I would never even consider shooting from the road or a vehicle but I don't think that's what your saying... soooo...

Quick Reply: seeing a deer from the road and stalking it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.