Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

seeing a deer from the road and stalking it

Old 08-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting from the road when you were driving.

i spend alot of time in the woods. heck in three days i walked 5 miles. which for around here it is alot.
I have no proplem with scouting. i do it alot.
I learnt my lesson on that when i started
ORIGINAL: sandilands

Bigtim you gotta spend more time in the woods. And less time behind the keyboard
Old 08-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

what if you had scouted that field and it was one of your spot you were just head to another. what if you got there to hunt the field and there was a deer there when you showed up would you leave
The fields i am talking about are all fields i plan to hunt on public land. I do not mean to drive around till i see a deer.
ORIGINAL: arrow2512

I don't care how big the buck is i wouldn't take the shot, because if i can't earn it buy scouting the way hunting is meant to be .If you have to drive around looking at fields to find a nice buck to shoot in my opion your not much of a hunter.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim you have a PM
Old 08-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I can't even understanding how that would be fun and/or challenging.

But, if others do, and want to use their tags that way, and it is legal and ethical...to each their own - do it.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

i got it sent youn one back
ORIGINAL: sandilands

Tim you have a PM
Old 08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

i never said it was fun or challenging. i think sneaking up on a deer in a field is challanging
ORIGINAL: Orion in IL

I can't even understanding how that would be fun and/or challenging.

But, if others do, and want to use their tags that way, and it is legal and ethical...to each their own - do it.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Besides being illegal in just about every state I know of.... the biggest thing is... it's just down right dangerous. You have no idea who's around, who's sitting in the hedgerow behind the animal or anything. I had one of the scariest incidents involving just such a senerio many years ago. I had returned from 2 tours of dodging bullets in Vietnam. I left the service and was living in Georgia. I had this woods that was great and secluded except for a dirt road down one side of it. One particular morning I was hunting about 125 yards off the road in a pine head. It was a big open set of pines with a thicket down one side and at the back. I was sitting near the intersection of the two thickets in the back corner. I was glassing and saw some does come across the road walking in my direction. I wasn't looking for doe meat that day so just relaxed and watched the parade of 8 does. They were maybe 50 yards out in front of me when this pickup came up the road. It was all up hill from the road to this little knob I was on. Big Bubba and Yahoo # 2 see the deer. Their first shot out the drivers window missed it's mark and took the bark off a tree about 3 yards from me at head height. My instant reaction was a round over the pickup which got it moving real fast. They could have just as well hit me as the tree. They didn't see me or know I was there. I had walked in from a logging road 200 yards away. They weren't thinking about someone being around. All they were trying to do was break the law and poach a deer. No deer is worth disregarding the old rule of "being sure of your target and what's beyond". If they had wounded or killed me they probably wouldn't have known it and would have driven off.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

In PA it's illegal to step out of a vehicle and shoot at any animal, however, it is totally legal to drive up the road, get out and walk back the road and shoot from the road. If you get out of a vehicle, you have to walk off the road XX yards, but if your parked 100 yards down the road I honestly don't think it's illegal to shoot from said road.

Every rifle season guys line up on the roads to watch as drivers push woods.

That being said,

I really don't see a problem if you put a good stalk on a deer after seeing them from the vehicle. Tim's question, would you walk back and off the road into the woods and take a shot? I consider walking into bow range of any animal is a feat regardless if you caught a glimpse of said animal from a vehicle. Seeing them from the truck, no not hunting but stalking to bow range of a whitetail, hunting no matter how you spotted them. IMO

Never have done that tho, would seriously consider it.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont get why you ask this question, the answer is obvious.[&:]
Old 08-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You do whatever is legal and you take that animal...

Quick Reply: seeing a deer from the road and stalking it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.