Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting read

Old 08-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Interesting read

I was reading Part 2 of "At What Age is a Buck Mature?" in the August issue of North American Whitetail. In it, Dr. Deer (Kroll) says that if 2 1/2 year old bucks are doing the bulk of the breeding, even those few that make it to older age-classes will probably never show their true antler potentialbecause they became physiologically mature at too early an age.
I thought this was interesting as well as disheartening, because this seems to be what takes placein the area I hunt. I guess itexplains why I
never see any "big" bucks. Hopefully the AR's will help this situation down the road. I just thought this was interesting and wanted to shareit.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interesting read

What are the AR's in your area, Jeff?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

So because a buck gets to have sex as a 2.5 year old, that alone will diminish his antler growth? I think it would be a stretch to correlate those two.

I'm calling BS on this one -- if that's the only reason. I haven't read the article yet.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

The AR's are 3 points to a side inmy area, and in 5 other WMU's they have a 4 point to a side requirement. A point must be at least 1" from base to tip.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

So because a buck gets to have sex as a 2.5 year old, that alone will diminish his antler growth? I think it would be a stretch to correlate those two.

I'm calling BS on this one -- if that's the only reason. I haven't read the article yet.

I don't understand this one either Greg. Maybe were missing something here but I kinda dought it.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Greg, these results came from a test with captive deer. I don't know if the results would be the same in the wild, and it would seem to me nutrition would have to play a role in this as well. He's talking about just young bucks doing the breeding. Like I said though, in my area it sounds like this concept could hold some water.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

The AR's are 3 points to a side inmy area, and in 5 other WMU's they have a 4 point to a side requirement. A point must be at least 1" from base to tip.
in my experience, most yearlings meet the requirements in your WMU .... I justy wonder how effective that will be ..
Old 08-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

in my experience, most yearlings meet the requirements in your WMU .... I justy wonder how effective that will be ..
That's the problem, I think. If a deer is a "legal" buck as a yearling then he isn't going to live long enough to become mature. I personally think they should have 4 points to a side state wide to make AR's effective.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tony and Earlyin: I don't know if it's just a regional thing, but near our camp in Clarion PA. Brow tines are not a given and many times even on more mature deer they are missing. So a big "Y" cannot be assumed to be a legal deer.

We are also a 3 point area. I think the # of points have less to do with the effectiveness of AR, than the regulation itself. No longer can you just see 3" of antler flash (like the old days) and start letting lead loose. You physically have to be able to count 3-4 tines judge them for length, and then make a shot. In the hardwoods of PA, by the time you do the above (especially in Gun season) there is not time for the shot. It's like the old 5 M-i-s-s-i-s-s-i-p-p-i rush of your school-yard football days.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

It makes sense, he is putting his energy into sex and not antler growth or body growth.

He's called Dr Deer for a reason

Quick Reply: Interesting read

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.