Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting read

Old 08-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interesting read

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: Germ

It makes sense, he is putting his energy into sex and not antler growth or body growth.

He's called Dr Deer for a reason
I think this would pertain more to the older 3.5 and 4.5 year old. The 2.5's in my neck of the woods I don't think do nearly as much chasing as the 3.5 and 4.5's so I wouldn't think it would affect them nearly as much if any at all. Its said that a mature buck can loose 70% of his body fat during the rut.

Interesting none the less I guess.
The facts that Kroll came up with were basedon 2.5 year olddeer in an enclosure where there were no mature bucks to influence the study. This forced them to do the breeding that older bucks, 3.5 & 4.5 year olds,
would normally be doing. This is where his observations on antler growth came from.
That would make more sense then.
Also Steve, this study was interesting to me because there are very few 3.5-5.5 year old bucks (who should doing the bulk of the breeding) in my specific area. I believe this is a bigplayer in whyI don't see big bucks in my woods. Even a 3.5 year old in my region will have a smaller rack than it should have.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

It makes sense, he is putting his energy into sex and not antler growth or body growth.

He's called Dr Deer for a reason
I think this would pertain more to the older 3.5 and 4.5 year old. The 2.5's in my neck of the woods I don't think do nearly as much chasing as the 3.5 and 4.5's so I wouldn't think it would affect them nearly as much if any at all. Its said that a mature buck can loose 70% of his body fat during the rut.

Interesting none the less I guess.
The facts that Kroll came up with were basedon 2.5 year olddeer in an enclosure where there were no mature bucks to influence the study. This forced them to do the breeding that older bucks, 3.5 & 4.5 year olds,
would normally be doing. This is where his observations on antler growth came from.
That would make more sense then.
Also Steve, this study was interesting to me because there are very few 3.5-5.5 year old bucks (who should doing the bulk of the breeding) in my specific area. I believe this is a bigplayer in whyI don't see big bucks in my woods. Even a 3.5 year old in my region will have a smaller rack than it should have.
That makes allot of sense Jeff. I think the author is pretty good with his assessments on this in certain areas.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off 2 .5 year olds are going to do the bulk of the breading simply because there are more of them. While a 4.5 year old is spending time with a specific doe, 2.5 year olds are running around humping anything in heat that will let them get their hooves around. This is one of the reasons when I hade a place I could manage, we used our first tag to kill any 2.5 year old that was lacking brows, spindly racks, and had little or no tines on the beams, would also kill the mother if we knew who she was, 2.5 year olds that had a well balanced rack got a pass and their mothers were off limits.

As far as Dr Krolls statement goes, the lack of food intakeand rutting down period is naturally going to take away from any bone growth during this period which affects the pedicel, but I would have to say no more than any hard winter.

Mostbucks have gained their weight back by the time they start growing a new rack, I would worry more about a drought, where their brouse and mast is effected during their antler growth cycle than I would about how many girlfriends they boinked last season.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off 2 .5 year olds are going to do the bulk of the breading simply because there are more of them. While a 4.5 year old is spending time with a specific doe, 2.5 year olds are running around humping anything in heat that will let them get their hooves around. This is one of the reasons when I hade a place I could manage, we used our first tag to kill any 2.5 year old that was lacking brows, spindly racks, and had little or no tines on the beams, would also kill the mother if we knew who she was, 2.5 year olds that had a well balanced rack got a pass and their mothers were off limits.
Tracking the mothers?
Sounds like farming

Steve

Old 08-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Tracking the mothers?
Sounds like farming

Steve
Yes it was on a farm, Beans, Corn and Cattle!