Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting read

Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interesting read

ORIGINAL: Germ

It makes sense, he is putting his energy into sex and not antler growth or body growth.

He's called Dr Deer for a reason
Antler growth happens before as in the spring,breeding which happens in the fall.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

It makes sense, he is putting his energy into sex and not antler growth or body growth.

Exactly, during his peak growing period, he is physically drained and stressed out. This should occur around 4 1/2 years of age, not between1 1/2and 2 1/2.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Antler growth happens before as in the spring,breeding which happens in the fall.
Exactly and in the spring they are putting energy into gaining weight in this situation.
Kroll states they do not reach their potenial, not that they are not big[:-]

Think about it, if a 2.5 run around a loses 30% of his weight, he spends spring putting that weight back on. We have one that loses 15% of his weight, because he is not doing very much breeding. Who is going to put more energy in antler growth?
Old 08-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

This pertains to physical and mentalhealth, which in turn, affects antler growth long term.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

In either case habitat is the key. Heavy ,early snow and poor feed I can see the correlation, but where there is prime habitat as in shelter and good feed he's talking bunk.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

And if youdeer haterswould quit killing all the does the bucks would not have to work so hard at getting some.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think this would pertain more to the older 3.5 and 4.5 year old. The 2.5's in my neck of the woods I don't think do nearly as much chasing as the 3.5 and 4.5's so I wouldn't think it would affect them nearly as much if any at all. Its said that a mature buck can loose 70% of his body fat during the rut.

Interesting none the less I guess.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I think this would pertain more to the older 3.5 and 4.5 year old. The 2.5's in my neck of the woods I don't think do nearly as much chasing as the 3.5 and 4.5's so I wouldn't think it would affect them nearly as much if any at all. Its said that a mature buck can loose 70% of his body fat during the rut.

Interesting none the less I guess.
I agree, but you have to remember they are just putting "fat" back on. There bodies are mature, a 2.5 is still growing. Between 2.5 and 4.5 is when a buck will have the most antler growth.

So 2.5 has to "make up" some gound in this situation.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

And if youdeer haterswould quit killing all the does the bucks would not have to work so hard at getting some.
We have unlimited (for the most part) doe tags in this state on private land.

Still.....we killed over TWENTY THOUSAND MORE male deer than female deer, last year. You're either part of the solution....or you're part of the problem. If you're not killing does, here, you're part of the problem.

And that's (one thing)what makes it tough on the bucks, here. They work their asses off (especially the young ones). The older guys know the ropes a little more. The younger ones don't. They waste a LOT of energy.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We have unlimited (for the most part) doe tags in this state on private land.

Still.....we killed over TWENTY THOUSAND MORE male deer than female deer, last year. You're either part of the solution....or you're part of the problem. If you're not killing does, here, you're part of the problem.

And that's (one thing)what makes it tough on the bucks, here. They work their asses off (especially the young ones). The older guys know the ropes a little more. The younger ones don't. They waste a LOT of energy.
What kills more of your deer, cars or hunters? With no winter mortality I'd bet cars.

Quick Reply: Interesting read

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.