Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting is there a such a thing as to much.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default shooting is there a such a thing as to much.

OK i know some of you are going to rip me a new one for this but i need a good answer so i will take the rip.
I have not shot since season end i do not have a target.
Nothing i can say that gives a good reason for it.
There is a place across town i could shoot 20 yards i think it is 20.
And another place outside out to 40 i think.
I plan to get a target soon and i will shoot everyday till season.
I have the same set up as last year same set up since i bought the bow so i do not see there being much of a problem getting everything down before season starts.

now here is what i was wondering if i shoot say 30 to 50 arrows in the morning and say 50 in the afternoon everyday. is that to much. Should i shoot once a day.
Also atleast 3 days a week i will be shooting my muzzle loader as well.
I can shoot about 85 feet which is almost 30 yards in my backyard.
So i figure i would go to the rifle range set up my target and shoot 40 to make sure my 40 pin i set and everything and shoot my muzzle loader.

Do you see any problem with that shooting twice a day
Also since i have not shot for so long should i not over due the amount i shoot for a period of time since my muscles are not as strong as they should be. or will it not hurt if i shoot alot.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting is there a such a thing as to much.

I wouldn't shoot more than 30 arrows at a time. I shoot every other day, some weeks almost everyday.Targets really aren't that expensive and you can get a decent one for as low as 40 bucks. the Block would be an example of a more expensive one but the best advice i could give ya is to just buy a target from a shop or order one.... and start shooting. As far as straining muscles, it depends on your strength and draw weight but since it has been awhile just shoot a few days a week and then your muscles will adjust.Then you'll be able to shoot more if you wat to. But get to shooting soon.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

and good luck this fall!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:49 PM

I say shoot the bow all you can. As for the muzzleloader, get it sighted in and its good to go. If you shoot it 3 times a week you're gonna be cleaning that thing a lot.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot as much or as little as you need to feel comfortable hitting where you aim, with your hunting set-up. I would caution shooting a bunch as you start-up again for the season. Muscle fatigue will creep in and before you know it you may develope a bad habit. Shot 15-20 arrows for the first few days and then ramp up to what you can do comfortably.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Well b/c you didn't shoot all spring or summer, I would say 30-50 arrows a day is plenty. I shoot about 30-50 every 6-7 days. I do not shoot daily, I shoot weekly, sometimes 2 times a week. But keep in mind, I do this year around. It is important to shoot as much as you can, but don't overkill it, if you hit where you want in the first 5-10 shots from different ranges, put it away, come back in a few days. Always take a shot or two before going in the woods.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot atleast 25-30 arrows a day. my bow is set at 70 pounds.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

bow is set at 68 pounds.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my best Randy Ulmer voice; a little good shooting is always better than alot of bad shooting.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot as much as you feel comfortable with. If you shoot too much you can get muscle fatigue or a strain.
I try to shoot 30 shots a day with the bow.

Quick Reply: shooting is there a such a thing as to much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.