Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting is there a such a thing as to much.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Default RE: shooting is there a such a thing as to much.

Too much is when you lose concentration and/or you groups starts to deteriorate. Shooting when fatigue can cause some bad form to develop.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot as much as you feel comfortable with. If you shoot too much you can get muscle fatigue or a strain.
I try to shoot 30 shots a day with the bow.
Good post. If you start getting real shakey shut it down for a while (3 to 4 hours). The only way your going to get your muscles back in shape though is to shoot as much as you can but at the same time not over doing it.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: psebwhntr16

In my best Randy Ulmer voice; a little good shooting is always better than alot of bad shooting.
Amen,

Good practice create good habits, bad practice creates bad habits.

Good practice can be one arrow or 40....while bad practice usually comes from much shooting.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 PM

Im going to edit that so maby some people can read it.

Ok,I know that some of you are going to rip me a new one for this, butI needyour honest,answer so i will take the rip.
I have not shot my bow sincethe end of the season becauseI do not have a target.
I cant justify buying a new target right now.
There is a place across townI could shoot around a max distance of 20 yards.
I also have access to a place that will allow me to shoot out to a max of 40 yards.
I plan to get a target soon andI will shoot everydayuntil theseason starts.
I have the same set up as last year, which is the same set up as when I baught the bow, so I shouldnt run into any unexpected problems before the start of the whitetail season.

Now here is whatI was wondering, If i shoot say, 30 to 50 arrows in the morning and say 50 in the afternoon everyday, is that to much? ShouldI shoot once a day?
Also,atleast 3 days a weekI will be shooting my muzzle loader as well.
I can shoot about 85 feet which is aboutthe max my yard allows me.
SoI figureI would go to the rifle range set up my target and shoot 40 yardsto make sure my 40 yard pinI set is right on. I will also shoot my muzzleloader during this time.

Do you see any problem with shooting twice a day?
Also sinceI have not shot fora long time shouldI take iteasy till I regain the strengh that I used to have?

PS: Punctuation helps with readability.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: psebwhntr16

In my best Randy Ulmer voice; a little good shooting is always better than alot of bad shooting.
Amen,

Good practice create good habits, bad practice creates bad habits.

Good practice can be one arrow or 40....while bad practice usually comes from much shooting.
You 2 nailed it there. Good post guys!!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to shoot anywhere between 50-100 arrows a day for 5-6 days a week and I regreted it, I didnt have to have shoulder surgery luckilly but had to have steroids pumped into my shoulder in two different spots because my shoulder muscles were deteriorating. Trust me cut it back to once a day 30 shots, and 3 times a week is plenty.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

shoot as much as your comfortable....if you feel any bit tired, put the bow away...dont over do it...believe me..

my first year i got my boy in july i think...my days off id shoot some arrows, jump in the pool, shoot some arrows, eat lunch, shoot some arrows, cut the grass etc etc etc...id shoot well into the 100s..never felt real tired...only shoot 20-30 then go do something else...after a week or so of doing that, i has a shoulder pain like no other...really thought it was BAD...i couldnt shoot for over a week....lesson learned
Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

People don't want to hear this.....but I'm sure there are guys out there who need VERY little practice. I agree with the other guys.....too much can be as bad (or much worse) than too little. Depends on the individual.

PGA Tour Pro Bruce Lietzke (sp?) NEVER practiced.....yet he won at least one tournament a year for a long time (was known to haveone of the most repeatable swings in the game). His caddycouldn't believe thathe didn't practice during the off-season. To "test"his theory.....he stuck a banana peel in the head cover of Bruce's driver after the last tournament of the year. 1sttournament of the following year, he checks it. What a mess.

Some peoplehave learnedhow to practice most efficiently.....for them.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

I would shoot as much as possible,the more you shoot the stronger your shooting muscles get,the easier it will be to draw slowly and smoothly
I have my bow set at 72-73 and often times shoot everyday for an hour to hour or two.Try to shoot in off season,find a reason,I shoot 3-d tournaments. If there is a walk through near you I would recomend frequenting the walk through,it can be addicting and will give you oppertunities to shoot from all distances.