Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hand torque...

Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 PM

Default Hand torque...

I have been dealing with this for about 2 months now. Inside of 20 yds Im golden with a BH or FP,beyond 20 yds I keep hitting to left about 1-3 in. Every third or fourth shot I hit dead center. I need to figure out how to stop this hand torque. I believe effects me less inside 20 yds, but I may be wrong, I know Im trying to change grips and it does no good because I become inconsistent doing that. How do you grip to keep torque at a minimum?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hand torque...

The reason you don't think it effects you within 20 yards is because the closer you are to your target, the less the flaws in your form show. Do you have a level on your sight? If not, I would really suggest you getting one, you would not believe how much this helps out. However, a level is only going to tell you if you your bow is torqued or not. That is where playing with how you grip your bow comes into play. I had a bow that I torqued on a regular bases, I had to start gripping my bow and placing my pinky finger on the stabilizer to literally push the bow of the bow out to level it up. First step, get a level on your sight and then start playing with fixing the problem. Good luck, this can be frustrating.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st thing is Don't grip your bow! Relax your hand after the shot your bow should roll forward in your hand then you can grip it! Do you have a sling on your bow? If so the bow is not going anywhere! I have a buddy going threw this now hell he is real bad he wants to grip real tight as soon as he hits the trigger and he throws arrows everywhere!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best way to improve your grip is to not have one(almost). Get a wrist strap and don't even grip the bow, just let it sit against your hand level and comfortable with as little tension as possible. Relax and don't squeeze when you release. Think of that hand as a rifle rest, you don't want itto move at all during the shot.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Do you get a little further left as you move back? Sometimes serious archers will assume it'sform that's causing the problem and not equipment. In your case, it may be that your sight is off a little bit. The further back you go, the more you would be able to see the problem.

If you're shooting tight groups that are consistently hitting left with both BH and FP, I'd say it's your sight.

If your convinced that it's hand torque, take your fingers and thumb off the grip and relax them. Use the pressure of the draw to keep the bow in place. After the release, trust the sling to keep the bow in your hand and let it follow through.

I'm not a pro, so this may not be sound advice, but it works for me.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM

Ok thanks guys, I was kind of trying to not grip the bow and let sit in my hand. Yes, I do have a wrist sling and I have a level on my sight. What do I need to look for with this level??
Old 08-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Consistency.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just make sure the bow is sitting level in your hand. If the level is....well level, then you do not have a problem with your grip. It may be as others have suggested, that you are gripping the bow on release, causing your arrow drift, or as SAN stated, it might be that your sight is off a touch. Which pin did you sight in first? A lot of guys make the mistake of sighting their 20 yard pin and then stepping back to 30. I always adjust my sights according to where the arrow is hitting from my furthest pin. Give that a shot, zero your pin in at 30 yards and then step up to 20 and see it is still dead nuts.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't grip your bow is right! Can't torque it if you're not grabbing it.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same issues last year and a buddy of mine was fighting the same thing. He found this article on the web...
http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletter12.shtml

The glove works great and really helped out. I had a very soft cloth glove that I had picked up from Walmart and it worked great. If nothing else works, give it a shot.

Quick Reply: Hand torque...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.