Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When will it end? scent lock vest?

Old 08-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Bartender

Default RE: When will it end? scent lock vest?

WOW JohnEdwards did cheat.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The real question is...."if one is wearing nothing but a scent lok jockey strap, does your crotchial region attract flies"?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

What I found so funny (as stated in my original post) was that someone could actually read the Gander Mtn. Flyer and believe it was just for any yahoo to purchase and not solely intended for those who practice a scent control regime.

The only reason to start a thread in an open and public forum based on the above for mentioned is..

1.) Stupidity, naivety or lack of common sense.

2.) To call out those who use the scent-lok products because you think those who use the product are stupid or naïve.

My guess is.. it was number 2.

I'm not going to get into a debate simply to acknowledge those who "called" certain members out.

I just find it humorous that so many who have never used it and it's product CORRECTLY or even at all find it so fascinating to almost habitually call it's bluff.

(Those who have used it and didn't like it your an exception.. obviously. But that's only like 1% of you anyway. And that's only if you used it correctly.)

They suffer from several disorders including fear. Fear that maybe they are incorrect.. and it could help..?? Which will lead to doubt of self and ultimately lack of control over there universe.. which scares many.. thus leading to fear of the unknown.

I really don't care what bow you shoot.. what truck you drive.. where you live… none of it. Because I don't fear the unknown I respect it. And often long to gain it's knowledge.

As far as me using the no-scent products. I do the full gamut.

I take the chlorophyll pills.. I shower with the no scent soaps.. I shave very often my face and keep very short hair.. I wear rubber boots.. and I chew on the gum. And I use the scent away clothes.

I do all this for one reason and one reason only. If I am to hunt 200 hours plus a year,all for a particular 30 seconds, I might as well do ALL I can do better my odds and play the game hard.. otherwise what's the point?

Those who have played sports with me know this is how I play them too.

So if in all that scent control I get an extra 5 seconds within the 30 seconds I am seeking throughout the entire year to get in front of the animal I seek.. I will take those odds.

If I change my odds that day of taking a great buck from 200-1 to 199-1.. I will take those odds as well.

If I'm getting just 1% a better chance than you.. I will take those odds too.

And I will beat you every time. Simply cause I worked harder.

That's all hunting is really.. no secret formula's.. no gimmicks either.. simply how hard are you willing to work for that one extra odd that puts the hunt in your favor.

Do I watch the wind.. OF course. Do I understand thermals.. YOU bet. That's implied common sense.. which most of the world seems to lack. Don't point the finger at the product.. point it at those who miss-use it.

But I will walk.. I will kneel.. I will crawl for 12 hours in a single day to get the animal I want.

You better believe that I want the best odds I can have that day.

To a whitetail buck this is no game. He simply wants to live. He's not playing you.. it's for keeps for him. He doesn't want to play you and he never will.

I've heard this referred to as semantics here before. And it's not. The quicker one understands this the better he/she will already increase one's mental preparedness.

Many of you fall under the category of number 2's. Fine. (And this holds true with any product).

But I'll take odds better than yours.

*Incidentally.. this is probably the longest rant I have ever posted here on HNI. Which I myself find humorous.*

So getting back to the original post/question. It's implied that if you use the product and need extra warmth (or whatever) by the vest to go along with your personal product. I think it's pretty plain an answer and really didn't need all this drama.

Perhaps we should think to ourselves before we post.
Despite your long winded opinion, mine remains the same. I believe a Scent-Blocker vest is a gimmick. I own and use carbon impregnated clothes. I follow the manufacturers instructions, I wash with scent control soap, yada,yada,yada. I follow a pretty thourough regimen. I believe that ha a lot to do with my limited success as a 3 year bowhunter.7 deer and a couple dozen feral hogs didn't get enough of a whiff of me. That is on days with and without carbon clothing. I never thought the vest was to be used to just throw on over your stinky wife beater tee. I think that if you believe the carbon clothes you are already wearing is effective, why layer with a garment that fails to cover any part of the body that is a major source of scent. You go ahead and waste your $$,(My opinion), I won't.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Bartender

Greg bro can you come into my office please?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Which Greg and why?