Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Asking for Permission to Hunt

Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Asking for Permission to Hunt

It's a little late in the game, right now, here.....IMO....to be asking for hunting permission. I've always felt that the earlier we do this....the more it appears that we are professional, expeditious, dedicated, etc..., etc..., etc..

I pulled this from a thread I'd posted on some time back. If you have methods that work for you, by all means employ them. This is what has worked, for me.

I read a book by Joe Brooks that outlines how to ask for permission. I've never been denied. (**Edit) I have been denied permission, once. The land that abuts my in-laws land is a PRIME piece of land that the lady landowner just doesn't want hunted. This plays DIRECTLY into the hands of the poaching neighbors I have.....because it ensures them that they will have sole access to it. I approached this lady last week and told her that her land was, indeed, being hunted. She wrote me 2 permission slips. I signed them both. The first said I had sole rights to be on her land during the hunting seasons. The second was an impromptu affidavit that stated I would NOT hunt them. Sounds counterproductive, I know.....but at least I have something to show if I run across the poachers.....and I hunt adjacent properties. It's a start.

I'm 43 yrs old....and my father in law has lived in my area a LONG time. He knows everyone....and he's a good man. I drop his name a LOT.

1) Go on a sunny day. People are just in a better mood when the weather's nice. I know I am.

2) Go in an American made vehicle.....preferably a truck. Lots of land owners are "old School' and have a few years on them. They remember the day when buying American made meant more than it does, today. I'd hate to make a bad impression by riding up in my Tundra and have them judge me on that without ever speaking a word to me. I take the Yukon when I go.

3) Go in a CLEAN vehicle. A clean vehicle shows that you take care of things. If the landowner is contemplating letting you have access to their land.....it makes a good first impression.

4) Take your aerial map of their property with you.I never understood this until I did it. Mr. Brooks described EXACTLY how everyone would react to this. They will focus on the paper in your hands as you're walking up. People are extremely curious about these maps. They like looking at their property. I've gone a step further and made one, for them, which I leave with them. It's a good way to show how serious you are in your craft....and you can also discuss where you'll park and what your entrance/exit routes might be. Explaining that you've thought these things out goes a long towards showing them how serious you are, also. If they get a call from a nosy neighbor.....they'll know it's you. This is also a good time to discuss where you'll park and what vehicles you might be driving.

5) If you wear a hat.....make it something "farm" related....and American made. This goes back to a previously mentioned item.

6) GO ALONE....or with a child. Don't take a hunting buddy. Two's a crowd.

7) Go to the side door. People WANTING something or selling something go to the front door. 'Nuff said. You're a "friend". "Friends" don't go to the front door. "Company" goes to the side door.

8) Ask if anyone else is hunting the property. If they are....DON'T ASK for permission to hunt it. You wouldn't want someone butting in on your hunting areas.....and you also can't control how others hunt THIS area. You don't want that.

9) DO NOT wear camo. I hunt on lands owned by some SERIOUS animal lovers. If they don't HAVE to see the "hunting" aspect of what you're doing.....don't make them see it.

10) Get permission for bow, only, first. I can't tell you key this is. If it weren't for bow access.....I'd have had NOWHERE to hunt where I do, now. I could gun hunt my new lands (and hey I might, one day) but people are more apt to allow bow hunters. I even go so far as to say that I hunt with a "bow and arrow" instead of "bowhunt". This sounds a little more "harmless", to me.

11) OBEY THEIR WISHES! I've got a PRIME spot (my honey hole) that the owner won't let ANYONE else in there (not even with me). He doesn't let his family in there. It's also bow, only.....and I'm to tell NO ONE I'm hunting there (I know....but you don't know where it is!). Rob can't hunt this spot with me when he's here. I don't take this lightly. I don't take anyone in there.

12) Whether I gain permission or not.....I go home, immediately, and hand-write them a letter.....thanking them for the opportunity to talk to them about their land. On two occasions, I was initially denied access. Once they received my letter.......I was ASKED to come back by one....and the other came to my house and said he'd changed his mind. These are my two best properties......and the lady who asked me to come back owns the woodlot where I've taken my two 8-pointers.

I know I left a couple out......but I can tell you that I hunt places that NO ONE EVER thought I could gain access to.....simply by following this to the letter. It's a "system". If you like it.....use it. If you don't.....good luck with yours.

Again....Joe Brooks outlined MUCH of this in his book 'Year round trophy whitetails'. I've just made a few minor amendments.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Bartender

Default RE: Asking for Permission to Hunt

Around here asking if you can hunt some yotes usually gets you in the door for farmers. Then from therethat can lead into deer hunting permission.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Although I do some work for the poeple who's land I hunt on.....i made those arrangements AFTER I already had access. I can see how, in some instances, offering to help would aid you get said access. If you think that'll help....by all means use it. I just think that the gesture is more genuine when you're not trying to get something from them. It seems to me to mean more when it's a true gesture......and not a trade. I'm sure the trade-off system works, though.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Very good tips. Thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very informative thread GMMAT. It all makes real good sense. Much of it common sense, one would think.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Great post GMMAT, it goes along with another recent thread.

I like #4 and #7. They make a lot of sense, but I've never really conciously done either.

I think #3, #9 and #11 are the most important. Your vehicle is the 1st thing they see when you pull up, they shouldn't be turned off by it. I usually take #9 one step further and ask them if they have any special rules they'd like followed. Some people are funny, they don't want you to shoot does. They don't want you parking on the road, don't drag the dear within eyesight of the house, etc. It's better that you know these issues ahead of time.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2948085
Old 08-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I usually take #9 one step further and ask them if they have any special rules they'd like followed. Some people are funny, they don't want you to shoot does. They don't want you parking on the road, don't drag the dear within eyesight of the house, etc. It's better that you know these issues ahead of time.
VERY good points. The lady who owns the woodlot I speak of told Rob and I......."I don't want you to shoot any babies". OK. She then said...."I'd appreciate it if you also wouldn't kill any mommas". OK.

US...

"So you want us to ONLY shoot bucks?

"Yes"

Great point, straight.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Illinois, it works best if you have a wad of cash in your hand.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an additional method when asking permission, it is productive and shows a value to the landowner. There are numerous Venison donation programs throughout the country, fhfh.org, ISAH(Illinois Sportsman Against Hunger) etc. Many of these organizations have local butchers that take donated deer, some are paid by the organization and some discount the fee and it's tax deductable. Many landowners hate to know animals are being killed but the animals are killing their landscaping and crops so something needs to be done.

I used to take a printout letter from fhfh.org with how the organization started along with the location of the local processor I'd take it to. One landowner allowed me to hunt and another allowed me to hunt and Paid the processing donation for every deer taken off of the property. In the end everyone wins and you are likely the only one that has asked permission that is doing an honorable duty. We are working on a spot this year that has minimum 5 acre lots with multi million dollar houses in the middle of an area that isn't hunted. Thanks to one homeowner last year that donoated the processing fee for what was killed off of their property, several neighbors have expressed interest. The best part in the end is that you can go to bed at night knowing that you enjoyed yourself, helped a landowner with a nuisance problem and helped a few poeple go to bed on a full stomach.

Quick Reply: Asking for Permission to Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.