Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone Got any Tips?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone Got any Tips?

tell tehm your willing to work for them, what good will come for them by letting you hunt, and youll clean up the property some
Old 08-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Does anyone have a "mock" letter written from there years of experience, that you could send to potential land owner wishing to gain hunting permission?
Then follow it up 1-2 weeks later in person on that Sunday afternoon ride.
Or this letter could be used for far away properties?

Some people like GMMAT, may be better at writing a letter than others and this info could be very valuable to some frustrated hunters.[:@]
Sending a letter sends a message that you are too busy to stop by. If I got one of those, it would go in the shredder immediately.

Cold calls to the home and hit the local cafes are the best.
I tend to hang up on people that I don't know when they call me.
I would rather have someone send me a letter, to prepare me for the arrival a few weeks later, as I really hate people that just pop in.
So AF HUNTER - If I had to choose, I'm with you on stopping bye as possibly the best solution!

I have gotten permission by walking up to the door and speaking to the male by being polite. I have noticed here that in 90% of cases if I spoke to the woman, I would be turned down.
* Just keep in mind, you may offend the lady of the house by specifically asking for her husband, you know that whole male-chauvenist thing, as I've had woman take offense to this?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

OK here's a good question, Do you think since i'm only 18 that they have a Bias against a "young Punk"??

Ryan.
Being you doesn't usually help. But being 18 also doesn't mean you're a "young punk".

If you're done asking for permission and they still think you're a "young punk", then you probably are. From your posts, I don't think your a "young punk" so niether should a landowner. The purpose of all of these tips people are providing is to help the landowner form an opinion of you. It's your job to make sure that opinion is a good one.

I think your best bet is to build a network, ask old high school classmates, co-workers, friends of your parents, friends of yours, neighbors, anybody, if they no somebody that owns the piece of land you want to hunt. Don't ever be afraid to name drop, just make sure the landowner knows and likes the name you use. A good approach might be:

"Hi my name is __________ I'm a friend of _________ and he/she suggested I come introduce myself to you".

Don't get too discouraged with the rejections, all you really need is one farm for now anyway.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:48 AM

I would have to say that while age may not be your friend, it most certainly does not have to be your enemy. Any preconceived notions about scoundrel youth can be negated by your appearance and how you carry yourself when talking to the land owners. If you speak clearly , no grunts, yeah's, uh huh's, nope's, but instead speak intelligentlywith yes's , no's, yes maam or sir,etc... and be polite.... it will help to separate you from the masses.

And when you are going to go see an owner, don't just offer to work a day or two during the season, or a couple of hours here or there ..... be prepared to start helping the next day and work many days before the season to build up a " credit " of " good will " with the owner. I workedfor two or three weeks,a couple of afternoons a week, before I ever went and utilized a property I had gained access to.

Even offer to help now, even if they say no ..... they might soon change their mind....

Show them you are different..... it will help tremendously.

MET