Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone Got any Tips?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone Got any Tips?

I always try to find somebody that I know, that knows the landowner. This can help. It also helps you build a network of people that will keep an eye out for you. If you ask 5 co-workers if they know the owner of a particular farm, only one of them might know him, but all 5 now know that you are looking for land to hunt on.

I also make sure that the person I'm asking knows my name. I tell them my name when I introduce myself, and then again when I leave, whether I gain permission or not. I've had good luck getting permission to hunt, mostly because of networking.

The few times that I've been denied on the 1st attempt, I ask them if they'd mind ifI asked again next year, just in case anything changes. They always say they don't mind. Show up the next spring to ask if you can hunt turkey. In doing this you show them 2 things. You show them that youwould really like to hunt their land, and you show them that you're a responsible hunter willing to take the proper (legal)steps to hunt their land. Many time land owners don't let hunters on their land because they've had experiences w/ tresspassers in the past.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Does anyone have a "mock" letter written from there years of experience, that you could send to potential land owner wishing to gain hunting permission?
Then follow it up 1-2 weeks later in person on that Sunday afternoon ride.
Or this letter could be used for far away properties?

Some people like GMMAT, may be better at writing a letter than others and this info could be very valuable to some frustrated hunters.[:@]
Sending a letter sends a message that you are too busy to stop by. If I got one of those, it would go in the shredder immediately.

Cold calls to the home and hit the local cafes are the best. I have gotten permission by walking up to the door and speaking to the male by being polite. I have noticed here that in 90% of cases if I spoke to the woman, I would be turned down. On the other had, when I spoke to the man after a little conversation, I was approved. Build a report with them.Talk about their crops, how their looking pretty good/bad. Talk about growing up in the country. Talk about nuisances such as deer and turkey. Usually they will open up and feel comfortable then. Then ask to bowhunt their property to help alleviate those nuisances. Offer part of the meat. In local cafes around breakfast time, sit at the bar (if they have one) and start a conversation with the waitress about all the deer in the area. Talk to her about being a bow hunter and looking for a place to hunt. Either she'll know a farmer with deer problems, or one of the other patrons will have a problem with deer and approach you.

A classic example was years ago while muzzleloader hunting, we stopped at a local cafe for lunch and were talking about the morning's hunt. A man walked up to us and asked if we were deer hunting and he seemed quite upset. One of the guys said "Yes, we just stopped for lunch". He said, "I'll wait until you are done eating." We sat there eating lunch wondering what crawled up this guys sphincter. When we were done, he said get in your vehicles and follow me, I want to show you something. We followed him out of town and got to his farm. He told us to wait at the top of the hill and then drove down to one of his cattle feeders. He dumped several bags of corn in the feeder and drove back to us. By the time he got to where we were waiting, the deer had come in and were shoulder to shoulder at the feeder to where the cattle could not get close to the food. He looked at us and said "kill 'em all and if you run across any turkey out there, kill them too!"

Another approach I learned from the guy who got me into deer hunting is when approaching the farmer, if he looks like a down to earth person, is to walk up and say "Hi, my name is ........., got any deer you need killin'?" I about crapped my pants the first time he did that, but he always gets permission.

Another thing to check is the assessors site. You'll find land that is owned by people who don't live in the general area. Find where they live, find their phone number, and call them to ask. But always chit chat first.
I guess what I am trying to say is do your homework and read the landowners body language and make the appropriate approach.

Sorry for the lengthy response.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Dress professional, show up with a clean vehicle showing pride in yourself and that you take care of things.

Be polite, courteous and like was mentioned, offer compensation in chores etc... I already think your prepared for being turned down but keep asking. PM Jeff (GMMAT) or hopefully he'll stop by cause he has the best knack for getting permission than anyone I've ever met. That's the side some of you morons don't know....LOL [8D]
Many of these "morons" get their impressions from what they read here on HNI. Good or bad.You know, first impressions last?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greg, what's your opening line?
Rick, I don't remember having anything set... I probably just wing it. I have made a pretty good living in sales, after all.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Dominant Buck

EI this post doesn't have anything to do with me. Let it go, please.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM

Bring a kid along, it helps, I charge 15 bucks for every property I gain you. I dont have a problem flying so mail me my borading pass. J/K

But really bringing a kid helps.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK here's a good question, Do you think since i'm only 18 that they have a Bias against a "young Punk"??

Ryan.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that I would add is just don't pack up and leave once you have been told no. I always stick around and chat for a while. If they tell me they don't allow anyone to hunt because family hunts it etc. I make sure they know that I bowhunt only. If they tell me about people littering on them or not putting gates up etc. I tell them I understand exactly how they feel and I don't blame them one bit and then I point out that in every group you have good ones and bad ones and the bads one usually spoil it for the rest of us. I then steer the conversation back to small talk and give them a chance to get to know me a little better and get a feel for the type of person that I am. If appropriate I tell them I have a liability release that I have had drawn up by an attorney. If you keep the conversation going, at the very least it may improve your chances if you stop by to ask the next time and sometimes during the conversation they will change their minds. I have started with no and ended up with permission on more than one occaision. As far as sending letter's goes, I think it's a good idea. But, only as a follow up after the initial meeting. Most, of the time I will send a letter thanking them for taking the time to speak with me or thanking them for letting me hunt.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

OK here's a good question, Do you think since i'm only 18 that they have a Bias against a "young Punk"??
I will say that age is NOT your friend in these endeavors.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:03 AM

Ya, well now we know that, no wonder you cant get land, thats like having 0 cards in your favor.

Quick Reply: Anyone Got any Tips?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.