Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone Got any Tips?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone Got any Tips?

Or maybe it's because it's a numbers game, and even when you put everything in your favor you're not going to geta "yes" all the time.

Keep going after it... your next three houses may all be "yesses".
Old 08-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

We can only hope :-D

Ryan.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:52 PM

Don't forget to offer to do some work around the place to help them ... I have gained access that way in the past... Also , look for KEY words like USUALLY, that could give you and in road...They say ... we don't usually let folks hunt here....andYou could say ....

I understand, but If I am allowed , I would be bowhunting only, I could share the meat with you and I could possibly do some chores for you to help you out.... and make sure you let them know that you would most certainly be respectful of their property and not bring others hunting with you , or at least not without their permission.

The words Usually, or I haven't in the past ,can lead to open doors.... listen to their words.... But if they then say no, smile and tell them thank you for their time... and the owners may talk about you after you leave and decide totell that nice young man he can hunt, the next time they see you....

You have to come and leave on the best of terms.... make a great impression.

MET
Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 AM
Fork Horn

Very interesting thread. TTT!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Fork Horn

WOW GREAT INPUT ... seriously.. these are really all great ideas. i'll keep these in mind myself.
thanks!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone have a "mock" letter written from there years of experience, that you could send to potential land owner wishing to gain hunting permission?
Then follow it up 1-2 weeks later in person on that Sunday afternoon ride.
Or this letter could be used for far away properties?

Some people like GMMAT, may be better at writing a letter than others and this info could be very valuable to some frustrated hunters.[:@]
Old 08-08-2008, 05:59 AM

I own a farm and I was thinking about whatsomeone coulddo to get permission to hunt my place. Because I am part of my state's cooperative hunting program, my address is on a published list. I get several letters a year from people I don't know asking to hunt. Letters get ignored by me. Personal visits get my attention though. It's much nice to meet someone in person. A letter followed by a visit would be ok. The problem with securing permission on my farm is that right now I have 5 people that I have given permission to bowhunt plus my spouse and I, so we are pretty full there.

BUT, if you asked to take out some raccoons or coyote, well I would probably give someone permission for that. If someone offered to hunt varmits, then visited periodicallywhen I was home so I got to know them, and helped with a little work around the farm, I would say there would be good chance of getting permission to hunt deer in a couple of years. Maybe that is too many hoops for most people to jump through, I don't know. I've given people permission to hunt varmits and then I usually never see them again. Just some ideas thrown at you from a land owner who has lots of people hunting deer already.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Greg, what's your opening line?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Greg, what's your opening line?
You remembered that!!??

Hre's what I do......

I pull up to the house, knock on the door and when they answer I say, " Where do you want me to park, because I'll be hunting here this fall".

It helps if you arrive on your bike looking like this...

Old 08-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oooooook then

Quick Reply: Anyone Got any Tips?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.