Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has being lazy ever cost you a buck?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Has being lazy ever cost you a buck?

ORIGINAL: Kreagerm

I had one of those moments too. This was about 10 years ago, and it will never happen again. One day I had so much squirrel activity I got tired of looking all over the place because it turned out it was a squirrel. Well then all of a sudden from the same place were the squirrels were, I just happen to look over by left shoulder and there was a nice 8 pt about 10 yards from my tree. I'm still sitting. He then walks over to my tree and starts smelling it, as i look down at him, I'm about dieing inside. I was able to stand when he started walking away, which took forever. At about 20 yards in front of me he turns broadside and looks back. I'm so nerves at this point that I'm all over the place. Well sure enough the arrow falls off the rest and that deer takes off like a rocket. I'm still so mad at myself for my lazyness that I never let a sound go unidentified.

I am glad I am not the only one that got lulled by squirrel noise enough to where I disregarded the sound, only to be surprised that instead of a squirrel, it was a buck!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Orion in IL

ORIGINAL: Kreagerm

I had one of those moments too. This was about 10 years ago, and it will never happen again. One day I had so much squirrel activity I got tired of looking all over the place because it turned out it was a squirrel. Well then all of a sudden from the same place were the squirrels were, I just happen to look over by left shoulder and there was a nice 8 pt about 10 yards from my tree. I'm still sitting. He then walks over to my tree and starts smelling it, as i look down at him, I'm about dieing inside. I was able to stand when he started walking away, which took forever. At about 20 yards in front of me he turns broadside and looks back. I'm so nerves at this point that I'm all over the place. Well sure enough the arrow falls off the rest and that deer takes off like a rocket. I'm still so mad at myself for my lazyness that I never let a sound go unidentified.

I am glad I am not the only one that got lulled by squirrel noise enough to where I disregarded the sound, only to be surprised that instead of a squirrel, it was a buck!
Yea, that happens to me a couple of times per season. It always seems that the first noise you dont look in the direction of is always a deer!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can't say, I don't know what came by while sleeping.

Sure, but it isn't a job. I really am my owm boss out there. Sometimes I just need to tell myself to get lost. Wish I didn't feel guilty afterwards though.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Yep- cost me a big 8 last Thanksgiving morning. I decided to stay in & two days later when I swapped out the flashcards in the TrailCam, I saw that he walked right under my stand at 7:30am on Thanksgiving morning! [:@]

Rob
Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Bartender

Quicky you have nailed it on the head for me brother. I was up at my grand parents in Portage, Wi (1980's) puking my guts out and somehow that buck walked to about 40 yards from me.
When I looked up he split just like that and at the time the biggest buck ive ever had in front of me. My brother still thinks I called him in somehow.
That was Uncle Jack Danials back then and once in a great while I still mess up but its because of a date with Southern (Hospitality) comfort. I will just stay homeand nurse her rather then
embarress myself in front of a buck again.
ORIGINAL: quiksilver

While I can't confirm or deny what would've happened if I'd have been able to roll myself out of bed, I can tell you that there have been plenty of Saturday mornings where the after-effects of a long night on the piss have prevented me from waking up and getting myself together.

We've all had those days, when you should be sittingin a treestand . . . but instead - youwake up with some girl you've never seen before, your mouth tastes like the Devil's *******, and yourbrain feels likeit just had an aneurysm.

...and then there are the times where you DO somehow manage to wake up, only to get to the woods and be too sick/lazy/hungover to walk to your planned stand site - so you climb somewhere closer to the car, and spend your whole morning gagging your guts out in the treestand, drinking Mountain Dew to make the pain go away.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not so much lazy but twice affected by "buck fever".. First time I just watched a buck walk by because I was only about half way up the tree when I seen him coming, I was so amazed by his size that I didn't even attempt to take a shot. Second was an 8 pointer so large that I drew on him and just watchedhis antlerswalk further and furtheraway. From about 20 to 50 before I realized that I should have shot and didn't.. I tried stopping him and anything else but it was too late.. A few days later someone got him during gun season.. I still think of that one..
Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I got into my home stand and saw a really nice buck crossing the weed field about 200yds away. I grunted he stopped and then walked on down into a swampy area. This was about 8 am. So i said I'll come back in the PM and get hin when he gets up from his bed, I figured he knew where the sound was. I was in no hurry, did some chores and watched TV until 3pm, showered and headed to my stand. As I rounded the corner to my stand guess who was already there. Checkmate!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Site Buck Guru

Good stories guys!

Although I've been busted when arriving late to my stand, I've also taken a couple of bucks after being in stand for all of 5 minutes!

I drove for an hour, walked to my stand (25 minutes), was getting ready and hanging stuff on my tree when I looked out into the swamp...... and there he was!

A couple of grunts coaxed him in, took a shot (with coat open and no face mask) the got down to retrieve my buck...... all in 5 minutes of being on stand!

It was kind of cool, I had the rest of the day to get him out and take care of business, all before breakfast!

It don't happen like that very often.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep I had played with a solid 180 class in Illinois in a hidden field and I knew what runway he was going to use and I set a stand up that day. Well while hanging it I didn't bring my trimming saw with me and there was one branch right out in front of my stand I couldn't reach with my hand saw, well I was sitting there and I had just bought new binco's and was watching a 130 class 8 pt run a doe all around the field . Well while I watching the 8pt I hear a snap and I glance over my shoulder and there stands mr.big at 10 yards, I hang the bincos up slowly and reach for my bow all while watching mr.big over my shoulder. While I was watching the buck and lifting my bow my arrow tip caught that branch and bouncedup and down on the rest, well the rest is history he turned inside out and was gone from my life!!!!! So as Todd reminds me every year it was the bounce heard around the field!!! Walt
Old 08-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Too many times ......sitting when I shoulda been standing .... not having my bow in my hand cuz i got tired holding it [:@]

The thing I have found with bucks is that they appear out of nowhere!!! Especially the big ones ...... and they don't seem to hang in one area for long at all .. many times they just keep a steady pace .... and they can be so quiet!!!

Quick Reply: Has being lazy ever cost you a buck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.