Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has being lazy ever cost you a buck?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Has being lazy ever cost you a buck?

Greg, I had a simalar situation happen to me last year with the whole blow down thing, except it was an area of the creek that beavers had dammed up. I thought it lookedshallow enough for the deer to walk through or even jump over so I didnt move my stand. I had a big 8 point, nothing like what you said but probably around 135 or 140, come down the trail and cut back upwind of me about 30 more yards and cross the creek, putting him way out of bow range. I had a few does do the same thing later in the day. Man I was kicking myself for that one. Never saw that buck before that encounter and never saw him again.[:@]
Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 AM

Just about everyday excpet opening morning last year, ill have to get a uncomforatble bed so i wont want to stay in it.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

I got one too. SIx years ago, I was so poor I couldnt aford a tree stand. I set up under a tree that grew between two indian mounds. I got there one morning in early november and threw out a cotton ball 20 yds from me with some james valley scent on it. I usually sat on myknees with my bow infrom of me. Well I was dead tired after about a halfhour and gave in to it. I sat down with my back against the tree and passed out. I woke up notfive minutes later to the sound of leaves crunching. I looked over to where I put my scent ball and there he was, A big 140+" 8 point with his head down smellin'the james valley. I couldnt move to set up cause my legs were straight outin front of me in the crunchy leaves. I gruntted at him as he walked away and he paid me no mind at all. He walked straight away from me following the creek bed till he was 100+yds away. Then he turned around and started heading right back to me. I thought "this was it man, He's gonna walk right back to me" he got about 50yds from me looked across the creek to his left, and spotted two does. They seen him and tried to run to there right and he bolted the same way. Then they tried to run to there left , he did the same. They took off running straight away from me and he jumpped the creek and was in hot pursuit!!! I wanted to cryTwenty minutes later, A smaller 8 came blazzin down the side of the field straight to me from the direction the big boy just went. He looked as if he justgot his but kicked..He stopped right in the middle of the creek twenty yards from me. I drew, stepped forward out of my clear circle, got on him and then.........A stick broke under my lead foot......He bolted....... I think I messed up as much as I could that morning, but I wouldnt trade those memorries for nothing!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

yup the biggest buck of my life. i was playing with my arrow for some reason. i guess i had been sitting still for too long. he was around 50 yards away coming from my left and he snort wheezed and busted through the woods like a bat out of hell! the buck sounds like a horse running through the woods
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

While I can't confirm or deny what would've happened if I'd have been able to roll myself out of bed, I can tell you that there have been plenty of Saturday mornings where the after-effects of a long night on the piss have prevented me from waking up and getting myself together.

We've all had those days, when you should be sittingin a treestand . . . but instead - youwake up with some girl you've never seen before, your mouth tastes like the Devil's *******, and yourbrain feels likeit just had an aneurysm.

...and then there are the times where you DO somehow manage to wake up, only to get to the woods and be too sick/lazy/hungover to walk to your planned stand site - so you climb somewhere closer to the car, and spend your whole morning gagging your guts out in the treestand, drinking Mountain Dew to make the pain go away.

Quik,
You put that so eloquently, I had to get a tissue!!!!

I think mine are more related to that lack of sleep, or that "too damn lazy to put the effort in to put some steps on a tree and hang a chain on where you really NEED it!!!! Had a 150-ish 10 point walking into me from just 18yds (NOT A CHANCE IN HELL I COULD'VE DRAWN WITH HIM STARING ME DOWN, SCOLDING ME WITH HIS EYES FOR BEING IN HIS WOODS!!!), while on the ground, when I'd intended on hanging a stand there, but just got too lazy to do it!!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

I had one of those moments too. This was about 10 years ago, and it will never happen again. One day I had so much squirrel activity I got tired of looking all over the place because it turned out it was a squirrel. Well then all of a sudden from the same place were the squirrels were, I just happen to look over by left shoulder and there was a nice 8 pt about 10 yards from my tree. I'm still sitting. He then walks over to my tree and starts smelling it, as i look down at him, I'm about dieing inside. I was able to stand when he started walking away, which took forever. At about 20 yards in front of me he turns broadside and looks back. I'm so nerves at this point that I'm all over the place. Well sure enough the arrow falls off the rest and that deer takes off like a rocket. I'm still so mad at myself for my lazyness that I never let a sound go unidentified.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

While I can't confirm or deny what would've happened if I'd have been able to roll myself out of bed, I can tell you that there have been plenty of Saturday mornings where the after-effects of a long night on the piss have prevented me from waking up and getting myself together.

We've all had those days, when you should be sittingin a treestand . . . but instead - youwake up with some girl you've never seen before, your mouth tastes like the Devil's *******, and yourbrain feels likeit just had an aneurysm.

...and then there are the times where you DO somehow manage to wake up, only to get to the woods and be too sick/lazy/hungover to walk to your planned stand site - so you climb somewhere closer to the car, and spend your whole morning gagging your guts out in the treestand, drinking Mountain Dew to make the pain go away.

Was this before or after the LSAT binge?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep sure did! I was exhausted from all the hunting I was doing and I decided to not go out one night. Well you guessed it on trail cam the 2 big boys walked right by my stand![:@]
Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 5 years ago, I had three chances to kill nice bucks in the month of October. I could not finish the deal. On one hunt in the rain, I kept falling asleep over and over because I was so damn comfortable from the warm clothes. About 1 hour from sundown, I snoozed off again. When I woke up, a nice big buck for my parts stood up from his bed in the pine thicket and began walking right down the creek I was hunting. I was so startled from having just woke up that I could not get my bow up and ready to take an easy 25 yard shot. I tried to stop the buck but he would not respond. He turned his back to me and crossed over a gravel road, out to a grass field.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last year, i had hunted the same fieldside stand for about 5 days in a row. All i had been seeingwere small bucks and does, but the does stayed out of range so i couldn't get a shot. Well i decided to take a break from hunting and go to my little brothers baseball game. It was a nice evening out with the family and everything was going great until i got home and received a call from my uncle that's the biggest buck he had ever seen was eating in the field in front of my stand.

[:@][:@]

Quick Reply: Has being lazy ever cost you a buck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.