Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting with scent

Old 08-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting with scent

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Greg, you taking some sort of truth serum lately?

Good stuff.
No truth serum.

I think that sharing tips and stories are a much more enjoyable way for us to learn about the sport we all have a passion for rather than another ugly, argumentitive debate. [:'(]

Anyone else have any success with scents?
Just messing with ya Greg. You have really been sharing a lot of your techniques lately and I enjoy reading them.

As far as my experience with scents, I can't say too much. I have tried all different types, tried drags, pads on boots, etc. But I have only had very young bucksinterested inthem. The larger more mature bucks that I see always seem to be followinga doe and reallydidn't care much about the scents thatI put out.I pretty much gave up on scents, but can see their value to others depending on the situation.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I had a drag rag on my ankle and had traveled some 200 yards through the woods when again I heard rustling but behind me.
That's funny, Rob. I've tried the drag thing, too....but I've always heard not to start too far back (the buck could just as easily come across your scent trail and go the OTHER way.

I've also tried some scents, before, but it always puzzled me how one would utilize them and still play the wind? I'd like to know more how this is accomplished. Off the top of my head....whatever you put out, the scentIS going downwind. If we're tryig to lure a buck with scent......wouldn't it make sense that's the only way he'd get a whiff of it (if he was downwind of the scent)? And if you'replaying the wind.....isn't this the VERY thing you're trying to avoid? Ditto (to an extent) employing a decoy.

I know people have success with these things....but I've never understood how it works, really (the perceived conflict). If someone could could come up with a scent that would travel upwind.....he'd be onto something, huh?
Its easy to set up with a scent blowing into a key area and not contaminating the same area with your scent. The is alot more to "Hunting the wind" than some comprehend. you'll get there old buddy.

Greg I use Indian buck lure too but didn't think we were going to let that out of the bag as not to cause a shortage.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Greg I use Indian buck lure too but didn't think we were going to let that out of the bag as not to cause a shortage.
What was I thinking!!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

So what happened to the girlfriend?

Good one Ed! She didn't make it to the next season!! [:-]
Reason I asked is sooner than later you'll be in rutt!

Just like Toby Keith's song...
Should have been a Cowboy, it goes somthing like this...
I bet you've never heard ole Marshall Dillion say
Miss Kitty have you ever thought of running away
Settling down will you marry me
If I asked you twice and begged you pretty please
She'd of said Yes in a New York minute
They never tied the knot
His heart wasn't in it
He stole a kiss as he road away
He never hung his hat up at Kitty's place
Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Site Buck Guru

So what happened to the girlfriend?

Good one Ed! She didn't make it to the next season!! [:-]
Reason I asked is sooner than later you'll be in rutt!

Just like Toby Keith's song...
Should have been a Cowboy, it goes somthing like this...
I bet you've never heard ole Marshall Dillion say
Miss Kitty have you ever thought of running away
Settling down will you marry me
If I asked you twice and begged you pretty please
She'd of said Yes in a New York minute
They never tied the knot
His heart wasn't in it
He stole a kiss as he road away
He never hung his hat up at Kitty's place
Ed, I'm the opposite of bucks in rut. My rutting season is the other 11 months of the year!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:28 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TJF

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I try not to use scents but occassionally experiment as well.

2 of my more memorable scent success's busted me before I was ready.

The first, in my early to mid years on a Monday morning I made a mock scrape and added doe estrous urine scents. I hunted that day and stayed away Tuesday. I figured I'd hunt that scrape Wednesday morning and as I was installing my treestand on my tree I heard rustling. I turned and a gorgeous buck stood on the scrape with his nose to the ground. I was caught dumbfounded and he looked right at me, turned and said bye bye.

The second, I was headed into a stand location in mid afternoon. I had a drag rag on my ankle and had traveled some 200 yards through the woods when again I heard rustling but behind me. I turned to see another gorgeous buck, nose to the ground trailing me. Of course I froze, he spotted me and said bye bye.

I have other minimal success's with scents but I watched more does turn inside out to flee scents than I've had success's with bucks coming in.

I try NOT to use any but still experiment to this day.
I've never had much luck with scents other then young bucks and doescoming in. I did shoot a doewho followed my drag line a few years ago. I've had does cross my drag line or come upto where I placed it... none have ever spooked from it though. Some were a bit leary but got bored with it and walked away.

I also placeitto keep their attentionaway from me.

Tim
I've had success with drag lines also. What I do is get to my stand, get everything ready, then I apply scent to my drag rag and walk AWAY from my stand from a spot where I want to take a shot. This is the spot where I leave a scent bomb also, at the end of the trail!

My idea is that I think that a buck scent trails a doe by following the scent in the direction where the scent gets stronger. I want the strongest scent to be closest to my stand where I plan on taking the shot.
That is also how I do it. I justleave the drag rag ( refreshed )where I want toget the shot.

Tim
Old 08-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Fork Horn

great story! thanks for the info!!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

My idea is that I think that a buck scent trails a doe by following the scent in the direction where the scent gets stronger. I want the strongest scent to be closest to my stand where I plan on taking the shot.
That as they say is gospel. We give so much credit to a deers nose and rightfully so, they can absolutley tell the direction in which the scent increases. If you put a drag on at your truck and walk to your stand, any buck that crosses that trail, will head away from you. I also believe that refreshing it on the way in will be just as bad an cause mixed signals. I believe in getting to your stand and then putting on the drag and taking a small walk away from your stand. ( if you use drags that is, I rarely do.) I use and expirement with scents, but they are not a regular part of my hunt. The only exception is I like deer dander on my boots after spraying with scent eliminator, to insure if I am detected at all, the deer just smell another deer. I have seen plenty of deer cross my back trail, and have never "seen" one spooked from it.