Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting with scent

Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Hunting with scent

ORIGINAL: valor10
Everybody and their brother uses Tinks around here, so I use Indian Buck Lure. And I us it the same way you do. Good results, but nothing like that one. Good job!
It's funny you mention you mention that. I scared away a couple of decent bucks using Tinks and stopped using it. Now all I use is...... you guessed it....Indian Buck Lure! [:-]
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Bartender

When I brought my buck in Greg to the taxi another hunter who shot a 15 pointer by Bristol said he used
Indian Buck lure also. That stuff has been around for ages.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Typical Buck

I've used sexual scents in the past with little luck. I did kill a young buck one year using Tinks, but I think he would have be courious of the smell if I would have crapped in a bucket.

However...

I do use food scent and it works big time. I don't use any commerical scents or that spray stuff you can buy in bottles. I use extracts. They are far more expensive though.

Last year I met a guy who let me in on a "secret" of his. A company that makes pure white oak extract. It is hands down the best thing I've ever seen. I put an oz or so in the little scent whicks and hang them at different distances from my stand.

The only down side of this stuff is that sometimes its just too good. If the wind shifts I try to climb down and move the them because if I don't I will have deer coming down wind of me and I will get busted.

Last season I had does come in with their noses up and licking the air just like bucks do. The would walk right up to the whick and start licking it. There again, sometimes it just worked too well because I would have five or six does come into it at one time. Thats a LOT of eye balls watching you.

If you try extracts just be careful of what you buy. Because of the cost of making them most are cut with something. Most are cut with water, oil, or alcohol. The ones with water and oil are the best. STAY AWAY from the ones cut with alcohol.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I try not to use scents but occassionally experiment as well.

2 of my more memorable scent success's busted me before I was ready.

The first, in my early to mid years on a Monday morning I made a mock scrape and added doe estrous urine scents. I hunted that day and stayed away Tuesday. I figured I'd hunt that scrape Wednesday morning and as I was installing my treestand on my tree I heard rustling. I turned and a gorgeous buck stood on the scrape with his nose to the ground. I was caught dumbfounded and he looked right at me, turned and said bye bye.

The second, I was headed into a stand location in mid afternoon. I had a drag rag on my ankle and had traveled some 200 yards through the woods when again I heard rustling but behind me. I turned to see another gorgeous buck, nose to the ground trailing me. Of course I froze, he spotted me and said bye bye.

I have other minimal success's with scents but I watched more does turn inside out to flee scents than I've had success's with bucks coming in.

I try NOT to use any but still experiment to this day.
I've never had much luck with scents other then young bucks and doescoming in. I did shoot a doewho followed my drag line a few years ago. I've had does cross my drag line or come upto where I placed it... none have ever spooked from it though. Some were a bit leary but got bored with it and walked away.

I also placeitto keep their attentionaway from me.

Tim
Old 08-07-2008, 04:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I had a drag rag on my ankle and had traveled some 200 yards through the woods when again I heard rustling but behind me.
That's funny, Rob. I've tried the drag thing, too....but I've always heard not to start too far back (the buck could just as easily come across your scent trail and go the OTHER way.

I've also tried some scents, before, but it always puzzled me how one would utilize them and still play the wind? I'd like to know more how this is accomplished. Off the top of my head....whatever you put out, the scentIS going downwind. If we're tryig to lure a buck with scent......wouldn't it make sense that's the only way he'd get a whiff of it (if he was downwind of the scent)? And if you'replaying the wind.....isn't this the VERY thing you're trying to avoid? Ditto (to an extent) employing a decoy.

I know people have success with these things....but I've never understood how it works, really (the perceived conflict). If someone could could come up with a scent that would travel upwind.....he'd be onto something, huh?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,

Excellent read! I agree, timing is everything! Ihunted Illinoiswith a lad by the name of Cavan Sullivan. He owns and operates Timber Vally Deer Scents (http://www.tvfreshscent.com/). We used a "standing doe estrus" collected that morning. The bucks were standing on top of each other! Five mature deer in one spot is amazing to see! I shot this video while hunting with Cavan's cousin. Look how calm this buck is...After Casey's shot, the buck came back in for more!

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk73/iamyourhuckleberry/?action=view&current=M2U00381.flv
Old 08-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what happened to the girlfriend?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

So what happened to the girlfriend?

Good one Ed! She didn't make it to the next season!! [:-]
Old 08-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: TJF

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I try not to use scents but occassionally experiment as well.

2 of my more memorable scent success's busted me before I was ready.

The first, in my early to mid years on a Monday morning I made a mock scrape and added doe estrous urine scents. I hunted that day and stayed away Tuesday. I figured I'd hunt that scrape Wednesday morning and as I was installing my treestand on my tree I heard rustling. I turned and a gorgeous buck stood on the scrape with his nose to the ground. I was caught dumbfounded and he looked right at me, turned and said bye bye.

The second, I was headed into a stand location in mid afternoon. I had a drag rag on my ankle and had traveled some 200 yards through the woods when again I heard rustling but behind me. I turned to see another gorgeous buck, nose to the ground trailing me. Of course I froze, he spotted me and said bye bye.

I have other minimal success's with scents but I watched more does turn inside out to flee scents than I've had success's with bucks coming in.

I try NOT to use any but still experiment to this day.
I've never had much luck with scents other then young bucks and doescoming in. I did shoot a doewho followed my drag line a few years ago. I've had does cross my drag line or come upto where I placed it... none have ever spooked from it though. Some were a bit leary but got bored with it and walked away.

I also placeitto keep their attentionaway from me.

Tim
I've had success with drag lines also. What I do is get to my stand, get everything ready, then I apply scent to my drag rag and walk AWAY from my stand from a spot where I want to take a shot. This is the spot where I leave a scent bomb also, at the end of the trail!

My idea is that I think that a buck scent trails a doe by following the scent in the direction where the scent gets stronger. I want the strongest scent to be closest to my stand where I plan on taking the shot.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good post.

Tink's has been around a while. Do some of you shy away from it specifically because it seems to be used so widely and generically by many, or do you feel you've just found a better quality scent somewhere else??

I've used a scent called "roam" (made somewhere in PA). According to the shpeel it's got inter-digital scent mixed in with the estrous...sure seems to work better as far as my own experience

Quick Reply: Hunting with scent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.