Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting with scent

Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting with scent

Nice buck friend.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Greg, you taking some sort of truth serum lately?

Good stuff.
No truth serum.

I think that sharing tips and stories are a much more enjoyable way for us to learn about the sport we all have a passion for rather than another ugly, argumentitive debate. [:'(]

Anyone else have any success with scents?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for listening!
You kidding me? Thanks for sharing Greg. Man, thinking out of the box. Good on you, GREAT BUCK!

I still use scents during certain times of the year but instead of using them as attractants, I use them as distractants. I try to place them where they will make thebuck stop and turn his head away from me so I can get off a good shot. I have since worked on the nervousness thing and seem to have a grip on it now!
Pure genius! In my book anyway. Everybody and their brother uses Tinks around here, so I use Indian Buck Lure. And I us it the same way you do. Good results, but nothing like that one. Good job!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I try not to use scents but occassionally experiment as well.

2 of my more memorable scent success's busted me before I was ready.

The first, in my early to mid years on a Monday morning I made a mock scrape and added doe estrous urine scents. I hunted that day and stayed away Tuesday. I figured I'd hunt that scrape Wednesday morning and as I was installing my treestand on my tree I heard rustling. I turned and a gorgeous buck stood on the scrape with his nose to the ground. I was caught dumbfounded and he looked right at me, turned and said bye bye.

The second, I was headed into a stand location in mid afternoon. I had a drag rag on my ankle and had traveled some 200 yards through the woods when again I heard rustling but behind me. I turned to see another gorgeous buck, nose to the ground trailing me. Of course I froze, he spotted me and said bye bye.

I have other minimal success's with scents but I watched more does turn inside out to flee scents than I've had success's with bucks coming in.

I try NOT to use any but still experiment to this day.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Greg, you taking some sort of truth serum lately?

Good stuff.
No truth serum.

I think that sharing tips and stories are a much more enjoyable way for us to learn about the sport we all have a passion for rather than another ugly, argumentitive debate. [:'(]

Anyone else have any success with scents?
Want to share some of your spots as well. Great stuff Greg, enjoy your writings.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Greg. (And you know why)

LT
Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 PM

When are you going to write a book about how to hunt the elusive Whitetail in America? You have the experience to do so.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Greg H,
I love reading your post. You are one of them that makes me think "damn, why didn't I think of that before". I guess when I have another 15 or so years under my belt of hunting, maybe I will retain some of your shared knowledge. Great advice.
Chris
Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great story man!! I've tried and done the same approach as you explained and have had success doing it with a few bucks but none of the bucks yet have been worthy of me shooting. One of my favorite story's to tell is when I had a 1.5 year old come with in 10' of a tarsal gland, he damn near ran out of his skin the other way. 10 minutes later after he ran away 30 yards or so another deer (doe) came out of the cat tails and that 1.5 year old took off again thinking she was a buck, he was in the next county in no time!

Good stuff Greg.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent information.

Quick Reply: Hunting with scent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.