Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hang on stand help

Old 03-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default hang on stand help

I need to find some kind of a ladder to get into my hang-on stand. Can' t use screw-in steps. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks....
Old 03-08-2003, 02:07 PM

Default RE: hang on stand help

I have been thinking about just welding together a set of the climbing sticks. I made a ladder stand last year and think it would be easier to make the sticks for a hang on stand.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

Cabela' s has Hang on Tree Steps. I have screw ins and work great but I' m not sure how well the hang on' s work.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just use screw in steps. I' m thinking of trying either the Lone Wolf climbing sticks or the new Summit system.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

You could by, strap on ladder, climbing sticks...many to choose from today. The cheap bulky way is a ext. aluminum ladder, if you have one...paint it with a flat brown spray bomb.

I made a ladder/game hauler a few years ago. It is square tubing, welded and painted flat brown. I have 2 sections at 6 1/2 feet long, so it fit in the box of my truck with end gate shut. I drilled 2 holes to attach both a wheel and axle or to put the two sections together(with good sized bolts and nut) for 13 feet of ladder. It is a bit heavy but with the wheels it pull easily. I also welded on eye holes to tighten it to the tree with regular chains, but pull straps would probably work. I have it secured in 4 spots. You' ll need to have bracket that allows it to be away from the tree, something I forgot of until I went to test it....ooops. Ssame princple could be used to a 2x4 or 2x2 wood ladder. However it takes some tools and I am not really sure it will save much. When I did it there was nothing on the market other than ladder stands themselves, or screw in steps. Now that is simply not the case, like I mentioned many designs to choose from. I like the climbing sticks by lone wolf, but they are higher in price. Check out www.cabelas.com they have a good variety and will give you some idea on cost.

Why can' t you use screw in steps?
Old 03-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can' t use the screw in steps on public land in PA. It damages the trees, and would be considered illegal.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:38 PM

I have two different pair of commerically made climbing sticks. Both are good but since I bought them I have seen better.
One of them I' ve seen but not tried is one made by Reaper (?). It looks like an extending pole of square tubing. You , after extending it, attach the steps without tools. It also has a saw attachment for the end to trim high branhes.
If you have some good sporting goods stores around go in and check out what they have. If you can take them out of the package and see how the carry, assemble and secure to the tree. For some of the units you can purchase extention pieces to reach heights from 12 to 18 feet or more.
Good luck.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Take a look at Lone Wolf' s Climbing Sticks....couldn' t tell
you one thing I don' t like about them. They would definitely
fit the bill for what you are looking for.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a set of Gorilla climbing sticks they come in 3x3ft lenghts I can get up to 15 feet with them.
They only weigh 9lb for all 3
Old 03-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try this - http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=category&rid=

Or this - http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet...&hvarSubCode=2

Personally, I use the cheap Strongbuilt stick ladder. It' ll get you up to 20' for about $50.00.

I am really interested in the reaper stick though.

Quick Reply: hang on stand help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.