Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is sucess to you meat in the freezer or horns on the wall?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is sucess to you meat in the freezer or horns on the wall?

To answer the question, I would be more bummed out(actually completely amazed) if I ended the season having only killed a nice buck and no does.
You wouldn't like Mn then. Usually one tag here, sometimes we get 2.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is the point you have to kill to be succesful? Sorry just don't buy into that anymore.
IF I am luckyenough to take gramps this year at 80, IMO he had a succesful season just for being out in the woods.

One thing my generation has done with hunting is turn into a contest, either by meat or antler.

How many times have you heard this the past few years?

How was your season? "I shot x number of deer" or "I shot a x size buck" When was the last time you heard "Man I had a great time with my kids and family"

I am in the bowhunting contest here this year again, but I am in to meet people. I have met some really cool people here.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

success = having fun
x2
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Is the point you have to kill to be succesful? Sorry just don't buy into that anymore.
IF I am luckyenough to take gramps this year at 80, IMO he had a succesful season just for being out in the woods.

One thing my generation has done with hunting is turn into a contest, either by meat or antler.

How many times have you heard this the past few years?

How was your season? "I shot x number of deer" or "I shot a x size buck" When was the last time you heard "Man I had a great time with my kids and family"

I am in the bowhunting contest here this year again, but I am in to meet people. I have met some really cool people here.
Amen my friend... AMEN!!!

Otherwise, why don't we all just whip them out and pull out a tape measure?

If mytombstone reads how many animals I shot or how many total inches of rack I had on my wall, then my life was a complete waste.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM

success in my to me is both, however i have just as much fun watching deer walk past my stand as i do filling a tag. anytime you come within bow range of a white-tail you have had a successful hunt.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

My wife and kids would run me out of the house if I couldn't put meat in the freezer and besides a little doe is alot better to eat than a big ole buck.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Site Buck Guru

Germ,
My trophy hunting with my bow is my own personal time, at least until my son wants to start bow hunting again. My goal is to get a deer. I use other venues to have quality family and friend experiences, including gun hunting. BTW, other than my son, I have no gramps, father or other relative to share the experience with. I am pretty much a loner.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gary,
I think its more of semantics than anything. At least for me.
I would hope that for ANYONE stepping foot in the woods, they were doing so because it was fun to them regardless of the outcome. If FUN is measured by killing something, I don't agree with that mindset in the LEAST bit. Which is probably why I argue so much with people who complain about AR's restricting the ease at which they can shoot a buck. Also why I feel kids should not be cut any extra breaks. If killing a deer is the only thing going to make that kid want to hunt...I don't want to grow those types of hunters.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The wife will fill the freezer, I will be sitting on stand waiting for a big one, and waiting ...and waiting.
Going to have fun hunting with the family regardless
Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't measure my success with neither antlers on the wall nor meat in the freezer. My success is measured by so much more than that. If I don't acheive either, I can still be very successful in many, many ways.

That said, I bowhunt for antlers in my primary spots and meat in others depending on what the dynamics require of me. And like GregH mentioned, antlers on the wall means bologna in the freezer...Win, win.

Quick Reply: Is sucess to you meat in the freezer or horns on the wall?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.