Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

good reliable flash light

Old 08-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: good reliable flash light

Rarely carry one......but when I do it's a little penlight (shaped and looks like a pen) with a green bulb. Light is focused good for walking (no excessive shine).....and it's controlled by a button on the end that you depress.

I think I paid $15 for it at Graingers.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I walk in to my stand with no light, but I still keep a Mini Mag Light in my day bag just in case. I have it more for night recovery of deer.I have a back up light as well, you never know.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

I like 2AA Mag Lite with a Nite Ize LED upgrade, Walmart carries the Nite Ize for $4.97. Only Negative with the Nit Ize is that there isn't a beam setting like the regular Mag Lites.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I actually carry 3 flashlights and a flasher with extra batteries...We had a hunter kill a buck one evening and he came out of the woods, we had a heck of a time finding the deer, even though he watched him hit the ground, if he had of left a light burning in the woods it would have saved a lot of time looking for a deer that was laying right there...

For walking in, I use one of the Petzel head lights...I also have a AA MiniMag with the LED upgrade and a paper clip in the hole in the back in case I need to hang it on the blood trail to help me when I come back to get the deer...When I do this, I unscrew the top, so it looks like a candle and I can see it for 360 degrees...I also have a flasher that can clip to a limb to hang over the deer...The one I have came from Gander Mountain and was about 8 bucks,both it and my headlight use AAA batteries, so I keep extras in my vest...

For tracking I used to use a Coleman lantern, but due to it's size, I kept it in the tool box in the truck...For a few years I used a 3-D MagLite for tracking, but I have found a better light for that...

Go to Lowes Hardware and buy a Coast LED light, it's about $45, uses 3-AAA batteries and you can adjust the size of the beam so you don't get too much light which can actually bounce back in your eyes and ruin your tracking vision...

A few years back, while tracking a deer for my brother I noticed that when I was on my hands and knees that the LED headlight actually made blood glow, so I started looking for a more power ful LED hand held light that would do the same...The Coast light does just that, I can actually track and see blood better after dark than during the day...It has made tracking much easier for me...

I guess I'm like the guy that wears suspenders and a belt, but I have had too many occasions where a buddy shot a deer and didn't have a decent light, or the dang batteries were almost dead...I'm the guy that also has a good knife in his pocket, in his vest and also an extra in the tool box in the truck...

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

good info there good ideas to thanks alot never thought about leaving a light on the deer or blood trail
ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I actually carry 3 flashlights and a flasher with extra batteries...We had a hunter kill a buck one evening and he came out of the woods, we had a heck of a time finding the deer, even though he watched him hit the ground, if he had of left a light burning in the woods it would have saved a lot of time looking for a deer that was laying right there...

For walking in, I use one of the Petzel head lights...I also have a AA MiniMag with the LED upgrade and a paper clip in the hole in the back in case I need to hang it on the blood trail to help me when I come back to get the deer...When I do this, I unscrew the top, so it looks like a candle and I can see it for 360 degrees...I also have a flasher that can clip to a limb to hang over the deer...The one I have came from Gander Mountain and was about 8 bucks,both it and my headlight use AAA batteries, so I keep extras in my vest...

For tracking I used to use a Coleman lantern, but due to it's size, I kept it in the tool box in the truck...For a few years I used a 3-D MagLite for tracking, but I have found a better light for that...

Go to Lowes Hardware and buy a Coast LED light, it's about $45, uses 3-AAA batteries and you can adjust the size of the beam so you don't get too much light which can actually bounce back in your eyes and ruin your tracking vision...

A few years back, while tracking a deer for my brother I noticed that when I was on my hands and knees that the LED headlight actually made blood glow, so I started looking for a more power ful LED hand held light that would do the same...The Coast light does just that, I can actually track and see blood better after dark than during the day...It has made tracking much easier for me...

I guess I'm like the guy that wears suspenders and a belt, but I have had too many occasions where a buddy shot a deer and didn't have a decent light, or the dang batteries were almost dead...I'm the guy that also has a good knife in his pocket, in his vest and also an extra in the tool box in the truck...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Surefire and it's excellent! I want to purchase one of there headlamps!All in all excellent brand of light and SUPER bright!