Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missouri Extends Antler Restrictions

Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Missouri Extends Antler Restrictions

the 36 counties mobow was talking about was the number of counties that was added to the current ones.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

The belief that AR's in and of them selves grow "trophy" deer is laughable.

All an AR does is let a buck live one more year. BUT at least he's a little smarter and has a slightly better chance at surviving on his own. Most on here still don't consider a 2.5 yr old a "trophy" in the sense of having a huge rack.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: peakrut

So if and when this work how much are they going to crank up the non res fee's due to this. Then Iowa will get pissed off again and raise theirs then IL will follow suit. *Actually Iowa started this whole non resident pricing rage with MO*[:@]
What are you even talking about? MO has roughly a third of the cost for a NR tag as compared to IA, IL, and KS. There is no "pricing rage" as far as MO is concerned. MDC does a pretty good job of allowing biology dictate decisions while trying to balance hunter demands. At one time (maybe still), they tacked on a little token increase for our NR from those three states. If it were about generating $ in the form of NR fees, there would already be higher prices for our deer, and much higher prices for our turkeys.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 PM

As far as the AR's go...I amfor restrictions, but do not feel 4 on one side is the best. Better than nothing, but not one that will give the best results. There are a whole lot of yearling bucks in MO that have 4 on at least one side.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I will say that I do not agree with the AR rules. I think a person deer hunting and having a good time or a kid out for his first deer should be able to shoot whatever they want to shoot.. (or any persons first buck, young guy or gal or a kid hunting outside the youth season) What people need to do is teach better QDM from the get go. QDM takes a whole lot more than just not shooting smaller bucks (different topic).. Not to mention that it's possible to begin breeding bad genetics. Wouldn't it be funny to start seeing a property full of 5 and 6 year old fork horns and 6 pointers. Several reasons I don't agree with it. Just another rule to limit what you can do while hunting, should be personal choice. # of points just isn't the answer.

Plus.. I know there are many factors such as nutritionbut if it's about bigger racks and trying to have big bucks like IL let me say that in IL you can take 2 bucks a year and there are no antler restrictions yet they continue to produce very large deer. (yes slug guns only, I know) There are some big deer out of MO already, I mean they are nestled between IL, IA and KS.. Maybe it will help but I still don't totally agree with it. I think they need to get poaching under control in MO more than antler restrictions. Just my opinion though..
Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm from the lower half of MO and wish they would extend it statewide but I'm after big bucks (as in antlers).

Mobow is right about the big bucks (as in $$$$). MO has seen the revenue it's neighbor IL has generated with they're big bucks (as in antlers) and I'm sure MOwants to follow suit. I started hunting IL back in '96 and the price of nonresident tag was around $100. Now it's what....$450. Ridiculous.

Of course the price of the IL tags could be due to the liberal politicians in IL trying to drive all hunting out of business, but that's another story.
Saved me a bunch of typing, from the "I'm from Southeast Missouri" part even down to the "started hunting Illinois around 1996" or so part. I even would have said the part about the liberal governors, though I may have thrown the word "communist" in there somewhere. [8D]

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've seen twice in this thread that someone has said that a kid should be allowed to shoot any deer they want but all you have to do is read and it specifically states that youth seasons are not under these restrictions.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Fork Horn

I personally don't like it and never will. All they are trying to do is increase Non Resident tag sale in turn making more money for them selfs and land owners that lease the ground. Before too long the common man will not be able to afford to hunt. Yes in Southern Missouri we do have alot of state and government ground to hunt but it is already very crowded and it will only get worse if they continue with this money making agenda they have now.

Earn a buck is a better way to manage the population that this.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

ORIGINAL: mobow

MO what do you think?
Oh man.....I'm not sure I feel like gettingall riled up today. I have mixed emotions on it, really. I'm actually for the AR's, but I don't like the way they're doing it. They SAY it's about killing more does....Oh, really?? Well then, why is it that in some of the counties that AR's are implemented the doe season isn't open, and we can only kill one doe out of those counties??? Hmmmm....could it be, those counties are already known to have some big bucks??? Could that be it??? Um, yeah. I would say so.

They can color it whatever shade they want, but state mandated QDM is about one thing, and one thing only. BIG BUCKS. And what do big bucks equal? That's right, big bucks.

And, why would you only implement them is PART of the state?? Why not all or nothing??? Doesn't make any sense to me.
St. Charles and St. Louis counties are the only 2 counties that are currently under Ar and not allowed unlimited does. The reason being is that those are urban counties that haveplenty of managed hunts that more than do their job of controling doe populations.
Wrong. Franklin, Gasconade, Phelps....Shoot, there's quite a few more.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the AR's but I'm not so sure it's about money. If the state wanted more money, a increase in our tag prices would the easiest. Non-residents get a bargain compared to surrounding states. Revenue created from bigger bucks will take years toproduce.

On the other hand, if there ultimate goal is to grow bigger bucks, theywould not allow us to shoot 3 bucks.

The AR's are a start in the right directionbut MO still has work to do in big buck management to compete with IA, IL, and KS.

Quick Reply: Missouri Extends Antler Restrictions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.