Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missouri Extends Antler Restrictions

Old 08-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Missouri Extends Antler Restrictions

So if and when this work how much are they going to crank up the non res fee's due to this. Then Iowa will get pissed off again and raise theirs then IL will follow suit. *Actually Iowa started this whole non resident pricing rage with MO*[:@]
Old 08-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Antler restrictions have nothing to do with deer herd management as the others on your list Germ.Atleast not in numbers,it does manage antler size.

IMO,that should be left up to individual landowners and hunters.

I personally hate antler restrictions.My kids should be able to shoot a buck,regardless of antler size.I choose not to shoot small bucks,peronall choice.I do not wish to impose my beliefs on someone else'sbeliefs though.I do wish some on the property I hunt would be more selective but who am I to tell them what they should shoot.

Ifa state mandates earn a buck,I have no problem with that,that is a MANAGEMENT tool,not a money making tool.

Look at the price of out of state tags for Illinois,and they aren't geetting cheaper.This is what it is about.Revenue and it won't be long before it becomes too expensive for many to hunt their own state.

IMO,good solid deer management will have better antlers as a by product.But shouldn't be FORCED upon those that do not want it.

Again,just one mans opinion.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Antler restrictions have nothing to do with deer herd management as the others on your list Germ.Atleast not in numbers,it does manage antler size.

IMO,that should be left up to individual landowners and hunters.

I personally hate antler restrictions.My kids should be able to shoot a buck,regardless of antler size.I choose not to shoot small bucks,peronall choice.I do not wish to impose my beliefs on someone else'sbeliefs though.I do wish some on the property I hunt would be more selective but who am I to tell them what they should shoot.

Ifa state mandates earn a buck,I have no problem with that,that is a MANAGEMENT tool,not a money making tool.

Look at the price of out of state tags for Illinois,and they aren't geetting cheaper.This is what it is about.Revenue and it won't be long before it becomes too expensive for many to hunt their own state.

IMO,good solid deer management will have better antlers as a by product.But shouldn't be FORCED upon those that do not want it.

Again,just one mans opinion.
Oh I am favor of OBR, but I am looking at it for a states point of view only.

If you were in charge of reducing deer herd in KY, how would you do it. KY did it by going to OBR IMO.
There are two choices

OBR
AR
Old 08-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: kevin1

How sad for the hunters of Missouri, some of your choice has been eliminated because of a few antler obsessed fools. Indiana lost it's two buck rule the same way, and it hasn't changed a damned thing in five years. Be careful what you wish for, you may get it. [&o]
Now that is completely false statement Just showing, something changed

State P&Y entries / ratios in 1998 P&Y entries / ratios in 2004
Indiana-----------52------1 in 2056----------------------------130-------1 in 763
Pennsylvania--------41----1 in 8,004---------------------------------86-------1 in 3,308
Missouri-----------56------1 in 1739---------------------------136-------1 in 694

Let's look at a state that has done diddle for management

Michigan-------------68----1 in 5,147---------------------------------60------1 in 5,166

Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not know where i stand on this subject. I personally pass on smaller bucks even though i never shot a buck. I mainly pass just because i am hunting on my cousins land and we practice strict management. I am fine letting a small fork pass me when i know next year he will be better. However here in PA on public land i think i would take the first deer that met the antler requirements......it all depends on where i am
Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

I'm from the lower half of MO and wish they would extend it statewide but I'm after big bucks (as in antlers).

Mobow is right about the big bucks (as in $$$$). MO has seen the revenue it's neighbor IL has generated with they're big bucks (as in antlers) and I'm sure MOwants to follow suit. I started hunting IL back in '96 and the price of nonresident tag was around $100. Now it's what....$450. Ridiculous.

Of course the price of the IL tags could be due to the liberal politicians in IL trying to drive all hunting out of business, but that's another story.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

[You know what I agree, the state should not mandate anything IMO

No bag limits
Seasons
weapon's
Etc

Lets have a free for all[8D]
I know you were looking for the states opinion,but I was responding to this with my personall opinion and got a little long winded.[8D]

I think Ky has done fantastic job with reducing herds to managable numbers without antler restrictions.There are a couple areas that are still overpopulated that I would not be surprised to see earn a buck instituted but in those areas,you can kill as many does as you want so the system will probably be cheated by those that are serious head hunters.All they need to do is just call in a doe,and the buck will be "earned".Nothings perfect I guess.[&:]
Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: Germ

[You know what I agree, the state should not mandate anything IMO

No bag limits
Seasons
weapon's
Etc

Lets have a free for all[8D]
I know you were looking for the states opinion,but I was responding to this with my personall opinion and got a little long winded.[8D]

I think Ky has done fantastic job with reducing herds to managable numbers without antler restrictions.There are a couple areas that are still overpopulated that I would not be surprised to see earn a buck instituted but in those areas,you can kill as many does as you want so the system will probably be cheated by those that are serious head hunters.All they need to do is just call in a doe,and the buck will be "earned".Nothings perfect I guess.[&:]
We've talked
Ky rocks IMO and I would take their system in a heartbeat here in MI.

In states with multiple buck tags, and hunters are not willing to go to obr. AR's are the best system to reduce buck harvest in multi-buck tag states IMO
Old 08-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

The reason i like the one buck in INDIANA is there are hunters out there that think they just can't shoot a doe .I guees they feel if they shoot a doe thats going to hurt there status as being the great white hunter [give me a break] I get into it with hunters at work that hate the one buck deal so i tell them up front , your the reason they went that way you think you have to shoot a trophy buck which there nothing wrong with that but then you say your now going to hunt just for meat then you go out an shoot another buck so you can show every one you shot two bucks ,then i ask them why can't you just go out an shoot a doe.Why should i shoot a doe when i can shoot another buck. And then i would say why so you can cripe that there are no big bucks out there next year, or all i see is small bucks and alot of does.THATS WHY I'M GLAD THEY WENT TO ONE BUCK A YEAR.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

MO what do you think?
Oh man.....I'm not sure I feel like gettingall riled up today. I have mixed emotions on it, really. I'm actually for the AR's, but I don't like the way they're doing it. They SAY it's about killing more does....Oh, really?? Well then, why is it that in some of the counties that AR's are implemented the doe season isn't open, and we can only kill one doe out of those counties??? Hmmmm....could it be, those counties are already known to have some big bucks??? Could that be it??? Um, yeah. I would say so.

They can color it whatever shade they want, but state mandated QDM is about one thing, and one thing only. BIG BUCKS. And what do big bucks equal? That's right, big bucks.

And, why would you only implement them is PART of the state?? Why not all or nothing??? Doesn't make any sense to me.
St. Charles and St. Louis counties are the only 2 counties that are currently under Ar and not allowed unlimited does. The reason being is that those are urban counties that haveplenty of managed hunts that more than do their job of controling doe populations.

Quick Reply: Missouri Extends Antler Restrictions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.