Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Heat Is On

Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Heat Is On

This freaking heat wave won't quit! I see a lot less deer movement from the house than I usually do and personally, I don't want anything to do with the weather outside. For 3 days now the temperature with humidity level has put the heat index up over 100! Yesterday it ended up being 108 and the day before was 102, today they're calling for close to 110. I know them rotten weather has to be affecting the deer something fierce! I walked down the lane towards the back of the property, but didn't go near the attractants and there was a small 4 pt that got up and wobbled away. He was so thin it looked like he had just come out of a gulag. He couldn't even make a whole hearted attempt to get away. I came back to the house and called DNR and asked if they had any reported incidents of deer diseases in this area and they claim we don't have CWD or anything else. I know this youngun could just be sick with something that is not contagious, but I'd rather be sure. I then called the local enforcement officer and asked him to come out and take a look at this deer. He said he "might" be able to come out some time this week. I feel like I should be able to do something to take care (for lack of better term) of the deer on my land, but am at a lose for what to do. Any realistic ideas?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Heat Is On

And that is why I will continue to reside in the NE part of the state...This weekend the humidity wasnt too bad and temps were below 90, today is the same way. Keep the heat down there!

EDIT: I walked outside over lunch.....[&:] Its no longer cool here.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

here in missouri its freakin hot! and i hate it! id rather it be 10 degrees than 110!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

you think its bad in iowa, come down to georgia. we have high heat and insane humidity!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got my fingers crosed for ya AF. This is how we started last summer and ended up with EHD.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I saw in that buck and what I have learned since then my SWAG would have to be that the 4 pointer is suffering from bluetongue disease. Fortunately, they say it is not contagious. Unfortunately, whatever bug that got him sick is surely not the only bug carrying the disease in this neighborhood. Now, I'll just have to monitor the cameras better to see if other deer are showing the same signs.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

AF the blue tounge and EHD are the same thing just different lingo. If you start finding them in or near water dead, then its probably occuring. It usually happenes with high heat and drought conditions. They are bit by a bug called a midge. Try not to worry unless you start smlling death every where. I could drive around and smell them dead all over the place not to mention finding alot in the following shed season.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is 104 in Oklahoma City. [:@]

Yeah, I posted a deal a while back where deer are bedded down in the shade during this type of heat. Can you blame them?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could always move North. This weekend we were at the beach in Atlanta MI and it was a beautiful sunny and 75 with no humidity. At night, it was about 55. I'm just sayin -- nobody forces you to live where you live.

The summer heat is the reason I vow to NEVER live south of Michigan - no matter what. EVER. You could triple my salary to move to Texas and I'd say "No WAY - too hot".

Why be miserable for 3 months out of the year?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yet, in the winter when it's a balmy -10 here, yall have -20 to -30. No thanks, I'll deal with the heat and I don't mind cold, but that's insane!!!