Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trigger Punchers

Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trigger Punchers

You need to stop thinking about your pin float, and the trigger and start to focus on the spot you want to hit. Trust your float, and trust your shot execution and leave them to your subconsious.......easier said than done but that's what you need to change. The reason you experience this with a bow and not a gun is because the gun doesn't float, your likely on a solid rest with no sight picture movement.

If you need a quality trigger that youwon't anticipate or feel creeping, and if you need to have anindex finger trigger I would recommend the Carter Two Shot.It's the only triple sear index finger release thatI know of and will break as clean as the 1.5lb accu-trigger I have on my 10FP in .223. That Carter release will feel like glass breaking.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

And to add to this, you can still get a shot off when you want it gone while shooting with proper "target" type of execution. You simply get a bit more aggressive pulling through, you don't have to mash it with your finger/thumb tosend an arrow on it's way on command. You are still going to be more accurate this way than mashing it as well.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 PM

I think it may be the fact that your holding weight back with the bow and not having to with the gun which makes you more prone to just let it go and not take your time. I think every one punches from time to time for this very reason.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im just as good with a bow as i am with a rifle, just have a hard time making that 200 yard shot with my bow
Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quick, Some really good advise above!!! I am in the same boat as you I punch about every 20-25 I will punch and from my experence I find it is because I really start to try and watch my arrow fly to the target and that cause's me to punch because I start antisepating the shot. When this happens the fastest way for me to get rid of it is to get on my deck and nock an arrow close my eye's and draw and shoot down into the grass, I do this about 5-6 times and I am cured for a while. When hunting I neverpunch because I think I am thinking about all the right stuff andnot the arrow flight it's only when I get to shooting alot like 25-50 arrows a day like I have been for about 4 months now!! Walt
Old 08-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Im just as good with a bow as i am with a rifle, just have a hard time making that 200 yard shot with my bow
With practice it will come.

Don't get discouraged!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

You need to stop thinking about your pin float, and the trigger and start to focus on the spot you want to hit. Trust your float, and trust your shot execution and leave them to your subconsious.......easier said than done but that's what you need to change. The reason you experience this with a bow and not a gun is because the gun doesn't float, your likely on a solid rest with no sight picture movement.

If you need a quality trigger that youwon't anticipate or feel creeping, and if you need to have anindex finger trigger I would recommend the Carter Two Shot.It's the only triple sear index finger release thatI know of and will break as clean as the 1.5lb accu-trigger I have on my 10FP in .223. That Carter release will feel like glass breaking.
Saved me some typing,thanks.

It sounds like you are happy with your results from a hunting standpoint,if you want to achieve more,then a back tension release might get you over the hump.You can use it as a training tool to get you where you want to go.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting, I'm a good rifle shot (trigger squeezer) but a habitual bow trigger puncher. My tru ball trigger seems to bear no relation to my gun triggers, at least as far as my finger is concerned.

I blame it mostly on the fact that I'm really a finger shooter.The fact that my shoulder is screaming at me the whole time I have the bow drawn back doesn't help the situation either. On the upside... my shooting is actually better than myform. [&o] Maybe I should look at a different release?

I've been trying to learn to squeeze the trigger on my releasebut I probably still punch the trigger more than I squeeze it. Old dog, new tricks I guess.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always thought of trigger punching to be a result of anticipation of the shot, as someone already mentioned.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to have the same problem with a bow after shooting for a while. I start to anticipate the shot and then punch the trigger. Never have hadtheproblem witha rifle though even shooting offhand.

Quick Reply: Trigger Punchers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.