Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One that didn't get away (blind calling)

Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default One that didn't get away (blind calling)

So there I was, Nov 12th 1996, flying down the highway, smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee, windows down for scent control. It was 4:30 AM and I finally had a SE wind, perfect for a stand I had found the year before. I had two 20 oz mugs of coffee, pre-made at home, as this was a two mug trip. I was headed down to McHenry Co, Illinois, some 60+ miles away.

I arrived at my spot while it was still dark and it was a bit nippy out. The temp. was a balmy 12 degrees. I grabbed my gear and headed to my stand. It was a long walk through a big pasturewith a series of electric fences to negotiate. Man, I hate them things, especially in the dark. After crossing the last gate I headed down into the river bottom toward my stand. In the bottoms there was still snow on the ground making the approach about as stealthy as a bowling ball going through a plate glass window. Snow, leaves and ice crunching with every step.

This stand is on a major creek crossing with bedding areas on each side of the creek and me in the middle. There was only one problem with it and that was that the tree was on the slender side. If the wind was too strong, I'd be swaying with the tree.

I got to the stand and it was still dark. I climbed up, got in my strap and hung my bow. At that very moment, still sweating, coat open, release not on and no arrow on the string.... a buck comes in and starts pawing a scrape at 18 yards.I had no idea the scrape was there, it was brand new. The buck was a decent 10 point 2 1/2 I had seen before, not quite big enough to shoot. After a few minutes he walked off and I finished getting ready. I checked my watch and it was 6:05 AM. Shooting light is about 6:20 to 6:30 AM. I waited until the buck was just out of ear shot and got out my grunt call. I figured if this scrape was hot, I wanted to make it seem like something was happening over here. I gave 2-3 short soft grunts. A few minutes later, I gave a more aggressive series of grunts and hung up the call.Ten minutes later, at 6:25 AM, I grabbed the call and was going to really get wild with it, but it was froze up! [:@]I started slowly huffing warm air into the call trying to thaw it out. As I did it instantly let loose with a loud ear piercing squawk! It kind of sounded like someone had dropped an accordian, down a flight of stairs.[:'(]At that very moment I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and saw a large, very mad buck jump into the creek with a loud splash!

With several leaps, he was on my side of the bank, looking for the intruder. He did not take the time to be cautious and circle down wind before coming in. Imagine that!!?? Things were going perfectly until the buck got off the 13 yard broadside trail and started heading straight at me. I drew back my bow and scraped my glove on the tree causing the buck to stop. He was 6 yards out and looking right at me, 23" up and looking back through my peep. He was facing me and almost straight down. This was awkward! I knew it was now or never so I aimed for the spine just behind the shoulder. I was also aiming between his antlers while he looked up at me. I shot, missing the spine a hair to the left and took out one lung. The buck dashed back accross the creek and disappeared.

I got down and looked at the arrow and saw lung blood. I crossed the creek and found the buck about 60 yards away. I hadn't taken 30 steps and my pants were frozen solid from crossing the creek. [:-]

I use blind calling for about a 3 week period, last week of Oct through the first two weeks of Nov. It doesn't work all of the time but when it does, it's as exciting as it gets. During this time period, big mature bucks that hear an intruder in their neck of the woods, tend to come in on a beeline. Their hair is bristled up, their ears are back and they are mad as hell spoiling for a fight.Sometimes the timid ones seem to circle down wind to see what's happening from a safe distance. They don't want to get their butts kicked by running in on a big boy when he's mad or excited.

This guy was the boss of his area, I saw him from a distance a couple of times in a field, demanding respect from the other bucks. He dressed out at 220 pounds. He don't score that well, but that's OK with me. He was at least 5 1/2 and had 138 inches of bone on his head. He'd only net about 116 because he would be scored as a 6 pointer.

Here he is........ I hope you liked the story.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Bartender

Default RE: One that didn't get away (blind calling)

I liked it thanks for sharing. Is this were you originally screwed up that knee of yours?
Neat looking brow tine there also.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice buck ,and a great story.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Site Buck Guru

No, I did that at a tournament down in Mattoon Ill in June of that year.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great story Greg. I always appreciate the candor in your stories. You do things your way and not "by the book" and make no bones about it.A lot of guys would change some littledetailsso asto avoid the wrath of the holier than thouers.You just tell it like it is and damn the torpedoes. I like that.

God bless you guys thatcan drink that much coffee in the morning. If I hadone 20 oz. mug I'd be pooping from my treestand all morning. LOL

Great buck, congrats.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greatstory Greg, thanks for sharing. Do you rattle at all, or just use the grunt tube during that time period?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cool story man! Nice buck also Greg.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Great story Greg. I always appreciate the candor in your stories. You do things your way and not "by the book" and make no bones about it.A lot of guys would change some littledetailsso asto avoid the wrath of the holier than thouers.You just tell it like it is and damn the torpedoes. I like that.
I totally agree with this post .... Great story and buck, Greg

God bless you guys thatcan drink that much coffee in the morning. If I hadone 20 oz. mug I'd be pooping from my treestand all morning. LOL
Uh .... thanks for the visual, Bry [:'(].................... LOL
Old 08-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I had one 20 oz. mug I'd be pooping from my tree stand all morning.
Pissing would be my word. The stuff goes through me all to quickly, specially when I bust the seal!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I totally agree with this post .... Great story and buck, Greg

Uh .... thanks for the visual, Bry [:'(].................... LOL
Sorry Preach, but I've got that same candor as Greg. I call it how it is. That is a pretty funny visual though.

Quick Reply: One that didn't get away (blind calling)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.