Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The deer is looking up at you...

Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The deer is looking up at you...

most people freeze trying to convince the deer there is nothing wrong. Do you think there would be a way to distract his sight to a different tree next to ya or make him dismiss what has caught his attention? Maybe I have entirely too much time on my hands, but I was in the yard today and heard a bunch of squirrels hashing it out amongst themselves. I'm thinkin decoys in the trees. Squirrels, owls, birds or something that deer are use to seeing in the trees. What do ya think? No or That sounds like the most stupid idea, but it might work. All comments are welcome.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The deer is looking up at you...

Na I don't think it would work, unless you could makeit move by pushing a button. But then you would have to have them positioned all around your stand because they don't always come from where you expect them to.

I also believe you have too much time on your hands
Old 08-03-2008, 06:08 PM

I saw a video with a demonstration one time that was pretty cool. This guy was in his deer stand and he had a squirrel tail strapped to his finger.he intentionally made a movement to attract the deers attention. when the deer looked at him he flicked his finger with the tail on it to mimick the movement of a squirrels tail and it worked. it was pretty cool.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Definetly use it if you can. I use them to tell me somethings around.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Seems dangerous seeing that small game season is open during much of archery season down here... I'd hate to have a squirrel decoy anywhere near my stand!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I rather enjoy it. It happens all of the time because I hunt in heavy deer areas. Sometime they pay you no mind and other times they hound you. This plays into the thought, what's that I hear over there, I can't turn my head because that deer is looking or if I do, I can't turn back. It's what makes hunting fun to me.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 PM

I've thought of this before. Its illegal to use electronic calling devices in some states on whitetails.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Just don't move... he'll relax after a while and move on... maybe. I tell you what I did once. It was bow season and turkey season was open. I heard some turkeys earlier in the day so was perched 18 feet up sucking on a diaphram call. A doe wanders in and gives me the stare. I stared back. Finally out of curiosity I just gave out a soft lost turkey call. She flinched but just started feeding. Of course we won't always have a turkey call in our mouth... but it seemed to make her think I was OK.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like to wear boonie hats to help ease the "stare down" from deer. If I can keep a deer from looking into my eyes I feel I have gained an advantage if they go on alert. I just pull the brim of the boonie hat down and keep my head low so they can't see my eyes. Maybe it is just a confidence thing, but it seems to work well for me.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was taughtwhen making movements....to moveslow with deer and fast with turkeys.

Quick Reply: The deer is looking up at you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.