Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The deer is looking up at you...

Old 08-04-2008, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The deer is looking up at you...

I had the idea of raising some crows and have them fallow me out to the woods and hang out in the same tree as me. reasoning behind thaught is the crows are a sketchy bird I belive deer watch for early sings of danger. if the crows are your friends and not flying away, the deer would thnk of this place as safe.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 AM

Ive always noticed that when the deer looks up at you nothing is the same after that moment. She/He goes on extremely high alert and its very hard to get your bow drawn back undetected. Gun season is a different story, if they look up at me they are looking up into my crosshairs and its lights out.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

hehe its called the bleat swing. you mount it on a tree next to yours or at the base of your stand, run fishing line down and give it a little tug, it will sound like a bleat and it should draw the deers attention away from you. this is an awesome product and plan on using mine religously this season and many more to come.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have also played around with this idea when hunting. one time idk why i did it but it worked. i got spooked and i pretended to be eating the grasses and weeds. i slowly crawled in like an animal and when i got close enough i took the shot. it worked!! i usually make very slow movements or just dont move at all and hope for the best.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

hehe its called the bleat swing. you mount it on a tree next to yours or at the base of your stand, run fishing line down and give it a little tug, it will sound like a bleat and it should draw the deers attention away from you. this is an awesome product and plan on using mine religously this season and many more to come.
That's funny! But true. I have bleated with my mouth to distract does. Sometimes you can even get a shot off. It's funny to watch how they react. I've never tried it on a buck.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Deer pupils are horizontally split, giving them a totally different view of our own. They can take a tremendously wide field of view, with no eyeball movement. Their orbs are designed to pick up danger where it will do them the most good...at a distance.

The slit pupils naturally orients their eyes to pick up movement at or just below the horizon, the place in which a predator is most likely to appear. Their eyes are less adept at picking up movement above the horizon...unless there is obviously a noise for them to look at. Concealment and your motion will either save your ass or give it away.

Thats why I get high as I can in a tree. wait a minute, that sounds wrong. I will go as far up as I can in a tree to be less visible to a deers normal movement and vision.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

I get high as I can in a tree.
Party on Wayne!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just don't move... he'll relax after a while and move on... maybe. I tell you what I did once. It was bow season and turkey season was open. I heard some turkeys earlier in the day so was perched 18 feet up sucking on a diaphram call. A doe wanders in and gives me the stare. I stared back. Finally out of curiosity I just gave out a soft lost turkey call. She flinched but just started feeding. Of course we won't always have a turkey call in our mouth... but it seemed to make her think I was OK.
Kind of off topic but I have done this for a long time. Particularly when I am slipping into a stand that is close to a bedding area. While I am slipping in (during daylight hours) I keep a turkey call in my mouth. If I crack a branch or ruffle some leaves etc. I let out a few soft yelps. I think the deer dismiss it as a turkey and let there guard back down. I don't know for sure but I have slipped into some area and setup with deer beeded close buy that I don't think I would have gotten by with otherwise.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

I get high as I can in a tree.
Party on Wayne!
I should have mentioned to do that before leaving the truck!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pretty much agree that if a deer is close and looking up at you it is usually game over.

As was said earlier the eyes are critical. I had a 2 minute stare down I lost because I blinked.

I also won two stare downs, one from 12 yards on a doe because I hid my eyes behind my bow
resting on the rail. She finally just wandered off.

I don't know how if they are looking at you, you will be able to afford much movement to pull off some kind
of squirrel distraction.

Also, like Fieldmouse said, this is one of the more exciting scenarios in deer hunting. You've got the
double-fake eat move, the side to side head move, the foot stomping, the quick look over the shoulder.
All make the heart race and make it that much harder to be still and keep from heavy breathing.

Can't wait for the damn season to start.

Quick Reply: The deer is looking up at you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.